Anybody else think NGC is getting tougher on grading than PCGS?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Morgandude11, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

I know this is a loaded question, but does anybody else think that NGC has gotten tougher than PCGS? I have noted this in 3 series—Jefferson Nickels, where the 5FS designation is getting harder and harder to get. On Franklin Halves, NGC has been very tough on the FBL designation, making it far more difficult than PCGS. Recent purchases in Morgan dollars appear to me that NGC has gotten much tougher on designating gem grades. PCGS is letting a lot more gem grades go through with bag marks in prominent places. Thoughts? Opinions? Anybody else see what I am noticing?

yakpoo likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

TPGs certainly don't share a common standard when it comes to strike quality. Steps, FBL, FB, FH, etc. are all indications of strike quality. NGC certainly seems to have tighter strike quality standards than PCGS.

I don't send in enough coins to tell which TPG has the most stable grading standards over time. Folks seem to prefer the older slabs so I suspect they're all susceptible to grade-flation to some degree. Companies are free to strike their own balance between reputation and profit.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    Morgandude11 likes this.
  4. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

I do early silver commemoratives, and have always felt that NGC is a bit tougher then PCGS. I also feel that NGC has graders for commems that are more 'aware' of the series.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  5. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Than PCGS no, PCGS noticeably tighten up around the time of the management change and NGC tightened up a year or two ago

The worlds been in such a bad mood for the last year that yea nothing is really getting the benefit of the doubt anymore

6. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

I have always heard that NGC has tougher FBL standards. I don’t think that’s new.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  7. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I think they’ve been generally tougher for some time now, at least regarding the series I care about.

Beefer518 and Morgandude11 like this.
  8. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

9. brg5658

brg5658 Well-Known Member

I think it’s less NGC is tougher and moreso PCGS is becoming loose.

On strike designations NGC has always been more strict.

Jaelus likes this.
  10. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Well put. I agree on strike designations, and NGC’s toughness. Has PCGS loosened up more than a bit? In my opinion, yes—I agree with you.

Draft saved Draft deleted