Any way to identify this?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Wade Marmon, Dec 3, 2019.

1. lehmansterms

lehmansterms Many view intelligence as a hideous deformity

Oldhoopster and Bing like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tenbobbit

tenbobbit Well-Known Member

@lehmansterms, what are you using to see through all of that Reverse crud ?
    From the pictures posted the Obverse has some bits of legend and a bust, the Reverse is an encrusted mess with no legend or image.
    I am unsure of what you are referring too.

TIF likes this.
  4. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

By any chance, do you have access to a digital 10x microscope? If so, go to a hobby shop and pick up a couple of thin brass rods of between 3/32" and 3/16" in diameter. File the ends down into sharp points. Put the coin under your scope and use the pointy ends of the rods to dig out the encrustations. If you're careful and proceed slowly, you won't damage the coin by doing this.

Wade Marmon likes this.
  5. Wade Marmon

Wade Marmon Member

6. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Nice. How about a similar shot of the reverse?

TIF likes this.
  7. Wade Marmon

Wade Marmon Member

8. Wade Marmon

Wade Marmon Member

Trying to have patience cleaning but i think I'm making the reverse worse.

9. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Given the high-ish weight, I don't think it's going to be a tetrarchal Egyptian tetradrachm. The Valerian/Gallienus era would fit though and what I can discern of the portrait makes either a possibility. I bet with just a little bit of cleaning and with much better images we could make out enough of the legend to ID the issuer. The reverse will need a lot of work and may not be salvageable or identifiable. My best guess at this moment is a reverse showing an eagle standing, but that's just playing the odds.

Volodya, Spaniard and tenbobbit like this.
  10. Wade Marmon

Wade Marmon Member

New weight after cleaning is 9.51g. How do i seriously get better shots with cameraphone? Serious. Ive tried every filter and lighting.

11. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Spaniard likes this.
  12. Wade Marmon

Wade Marmon Member

13. lehmansterms

lehmansterms Many view intelligence as a hideous deformity

In one or another of your original photos, it appeared to my eye that there were "bumps" around the circumference of the reverse indicating a probable concentric legend - but it may have just been a quirk of the specific photo I was viewing.

14. Wade Marmon

Wade Marmon Member

There is but its not legible still. The link is my best guess still. Im afraid to clean it more as I've already made several errors scratching it to a shine. I posted new pics today though.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted