Any way to 'hack' CoinFlation's U.S. Silver Coin Melt Value Calculator?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Dougmeister, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

"Hack" in the good sense of the word...

http://www.coinflation.com/coins/silver_coin_calculator.html

Always defaults to "1932-1964 Washington Quarter". It would be awesome to be able to bookmark a link that would go directly to the coin in which you are interested (e.g., 40% Kennedy halves, 90% halves, etc.)

Anyone know of a way to do this by looking at the HTML/PHP source and hard-coding parameters?

Bonus points for also hard-coding the quantity of coins to be queried...

Edit: before you flame me, yes, I am lazy, it's only a mouse-click. But I like to think of it as being efficient with my time and mouse-clicks ;-)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

4. Dougmeister

yeah, not bad, but those are for a single coin. Some quick mental math can give me the number I want, but I'm looking for an instant number for a whole roll.

5. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Interesting question. If I drop a bookmark in this thread, maybe I'll remember to take a look when I've got a few minutes to concentrate.

6. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Assuming you'd end up with a ton of bookmarks (or 6, anyway) and organize them hierarchically to avoid running out of screen real estate for your other bookmarks, how is bookmarking links specific to each coin any simpler than a single mouse-click on the coinflation.com denomination menu? Perhaps what you really want is a desktop ticker app. No clicks, except to find the app.

7. -jeffB

The good news: their calculator script will take GET requests, so you can hard-code a link to pass in parameters.

http://www.coinflation.com/coins/si...war-nickels.jpg&quantity=40&silverprice=18.35

The bad news: you have to specify the silver price as one of the parameters. They pre-fill it in the page where they show you the form, but they won't look it up for you in the calculator.

So, I think you'd better stick with mental math, or keeping a tab open with the form pre-filled for the coin/quantity you want.

8. -jeffB

For a $5 roll of 90% dimes, check the price for a 90% half, and multiply by 10.

For a $10 roll of anything, check the "silver % of face value" column, and divide by 10 to get dollars.

For a $20 roll of dollars, do that last calculation, and then double the result.

With a little practice, that'll be faster than fishing around for a bookmark.

9. Dougmeister

Draft saved Draft deleted