Any tips for trying to determine date on a very worn coin?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by myownprivy, Feb 5, 2020.

1. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

If it's slick and not visible, is that it? Or are there any tricks you use to try to determine the date? Special lighting? Magnification? Other markings elsewhere on the coin?

EDIT: On silver coins

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Depends on all sorts of things.

Sometimes, oblique lighting (exaggerating relief on all the coin's features) will help.

Sometimes magnification helps.

For many series, you can look for die markers and such to identify some dates. (For example, it's not hard to tell whether a very slick Type I Standing Liberty quarter is 1916 or 1917, even if the date is completely gone.)

For cupronickel coins, you can sometimes etch them to restore the date, although you're left with a damaged coin.

For silver, a few people swear it's sometimes possible to restore the date, but results are spotty.

For some coins, no, there isn't anything you can do.

4. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tips.
    Different lighting and magnification did not work.
    I don't want to try acid or other methods that would decrease the silver content of the coin.
    What's frustrating is it seems like I can begin to see something with shadows but it's probably just my imagination...

Hookman likes this.
  5. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

You might get more help if you specify the coin type, or better yet provide photos.

6. AngelDeath

AngelDeath Well-Known Member

Was it at the "Little Big Horn"?

7. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

Several possibilities - First - If slick and not crusty or corroded try placing a piece of white paper over it and rubbing with charcoal. If you start seeing something move down to a thinner paper and try again. Second - put a piece of foil over it and try to create a reverse image of what's there. Third - exactly the same but using silly putty.
    Last option. Ink it with a roller. Place a piece of paper on it and leave until dry then try to read. You will probably smear the image if you try to remove the paper right away. If you don't like to use ink candle smoke can also be used but you will probably burn your fingers. Good luck.

8. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Certain coins have special die or design characteristics which can be attributed to certain specific dates or range of dates.

So specifics and pictures always help rather than a generic question and a generic reply.

Draft saved Draft deleted