Any Ron Landis / Gallery Mint collectors on CT?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ZoidMeister, Oct 26, 2021.

1. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. MIGuy

MIGuy Supporter! Supporter

You guys turned me onto the Jefferson two nickel silver set, which I have, then I got the 3 ounce rocket ship medal (hockey puck) and the Buffalo silver nickel, and finally I bought a 1796 silver quarter copy (just one, originally sold in a set of two I believe). I like some of their mini gold coins but they aren't really in my budget range. spaceshiplandis.jpg 1796quarter.jpg

Revello, john65999 and ZoidMeister like this.
  4. dwhiz

@MIGuy
    I really like the Flash Gordon Rocket ship

Revello, ZoidMeister and MIGuy like this.
  5. MIGuy

Thanks! So you have submitted to ICG for grading? Those are beautiful. I may do that with my Schlage nickels from Landis, that's neat. I love the Flash Gordon space ship too! I couldn't resist it when they had a 20% off sale a while back - it's called "Cosmic Roots" - here's the reverse. landisspacerev.jpg

6. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

7. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

MIGuy,

I'm trying to do a bit of research on the Indian Tribute silver 1/4 oz pieces. Could you please post up a photo of their obverses?

Much obliged and I'll reveal why as soon as I finish my research.

Z

8. MIGuy

Hi Z! Happy to oblige, but my bad photography skills may hinder your research I'm afraid - I hope these are helpful - IMG_4431.JPG IMG_4430.JPG IMG_4429.JPG IMG_4428.JPG IMG_4427.JPG

Revello, john65999 and ZoidMeister like this.
  9. ZoidMeister

Wow, you got a whole roll of them . . . . !

Those are Landis Studios "mules" . . . . .

The silver was supposed to have been minted with a 1913 date. The GOLD Indian Head tribute coins were minted with a 1912 date.

What you have multiple of (and I only have one) is a "mule" strike. The obverse die is from the gold design die pair, the reverse is most likely from the silver die pair.

See the screen shots from the Landis Studios website below.

You can also see differences in the font of the LIBERTY. The gold uses a much finer lettering than the silver die did.

Hang onto those . . . . (or sell me a couple more for my collection) . . . . .

I wondering if they have any more of this error coin in stock? I am guessing that whatever production run they needed to make that day were all struck with this die mismatch.

Z

@Capture1.PNG @Capture2.PNG

dwhiz and MIGuy like this.
  10. MIGuy

Wow, that's some good research! Thanks for sharing.

11. Mike Thorne

Mike Thorne Well-Known Member

Many years ago, I interviewed Ron Landis for an article, and he sent me a copy of a 1793 cent and a small woodcut of Leonardo da Vinci that my wife framed and added to our "art gallery." I think they are wonderful and could certainly see collecting his creations.

12. ZoidMeister

This thread has been dormant for far too long. I've picked up quite a few pieces over the ensuing months. The dies for all pieces below were engraved by Ron Landis.

Where to start?

Z

IMG_3109.JPG IMG_3110.JPG IMG_2728.JPG IMG_2727.JPG IMG_2170.JPG IMG_2171.JPG IMG_2927.JPG
    IMG_2926.JPG

JeffC, dwhiz, MIGuy and 1 other person like this.
  13. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I had this graded, it might be the only graded one in existence given the mintage of 17.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mr.Q, JeffC, ZoidMeister and 3 others like this.
  14. MIGuy

Wow! Those are beauties! Especially that gold Jefferson @Lehigh96 - that is impressive. You guys (Zoidmeister!!!!) got me chasing down this rabbit hole now - I started with the Felix Schlag 2 silver nickel set, then acquired a bunch of the Indian silver nickels (mules!), then the Buck Rogers Spaceship (Cosmic Roots), and on and on - well here are 6 - the 1, 2 and 3 ounce silver Octopus "Steampunk" series, with a really nice finish, then a couple of Glendale medals - one in copper and one in silver, and then the 1 ounce silver Buffalo Nickel tribute. carrtks1.JPG carrtks2.JPG

ZoidMeister and Revello like this.
  15. ZoidMeister

I was fortunate enough to have acquired this as well.

I think hands down, this is the most beautiful die pair that Ron Landis has ever engraved.

It's his die trial reproduction of the Judd J12/P14 1792 US Quarter Pattern.

An amazing piece of US Numismatic History, and one of Ron's most faithful designs.

IMG_3763.JPG IMG_3764.JPG IMG_3766.JPG

For comparison, here is a link and screen shots of the actual 1792 Quarter Pattern Ron was emulating.

https://uspatterns.stores.yahoo.net/j12p14.html

upload_2022-4-27_17-52-9.png

This latest acquisition is actually broad struck out of collar in the same manner as Judd J13/P15 on white metal (pewter) cobs. Only 4 of the original pewter patterns exist, two broad struck as seen below.

upload_2022-4-27_17-56-48.png

I am totally excited to have secured this pair.

Z

Last edited: Apr 27, 2022
    dwhiz, Revello and MIGuy like this.
  16. dwhiz

Description
    In 2012, Intaglio mint commissioned the iconic Ron Landis to hand-engrave there first die. The beauty and the character of a hand-engraved die is unrivaled. The Intaglio logo has never looked better or more authentic. This is the FIRST (and LAST) time this die will be used for a commercial product. Intaglio-Hand-Carved-Die.jpg

MIGuy, Revello and ZoidMeister like this.
  17. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

Did you get his EID MAR coins? He only made 26 in silver.

ZoidMeister and Revello like this.
  18. Revello

Revello Well-Known Member

If someone has one, I'd love to see photos of it posted.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  19. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

MIGuy and Revello like this.
  20. Revello

Revello Well-Known Member

JeffC and MIGuy like this.
  21. dwhiz

MIGuy, Revello and ZoidMeister like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted