Any reviews for Silvertowne Coin Auctions?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Chuck47, May 4, 2015.

1. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

SilverTowne Auctions does use stock photos for some bullion items, and a few non-bullion, too. They sold a whole pile of 1998-S matte Kennedys last year with a single photo. Seems like there was one in every auction for 3 months. Usually, after the first few lots, the initial ask is the low end of their "estimate", which is more hope than reality. It rapidly descends until there is a bid. I hear you. I have had a few "who would pay THAT for THAT?" moments. Are they shill bidding their own stuff to reinventory it? I don't know, but rumor has it ALL auction companies occasionally do, even Heritage and S-B.

Two things to keep in mind - 1) he who controls the auction seldom takes a loss, and 2) usually somewhere in their fine print they admit they reserve the right to reject all bids. I have always considered having someone bid at the "we won't go below X" price is a technique for doing just that. It's hard to insist an auctioneer selling his own inventory to take a loss, especially from over the Internet.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

That is correct.

Draft saved Draft deleted