Any reports from the Baltimore show?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Paddy54, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Just wondering as I haven't seen anything posted, however did hear from two friends it was rather weak as there were a lot of empty tables.
    Trying to play catch up from paper work I can't make it up to Bmore.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

4. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I read on another board that there was a rumor of protest so a lot of dealers cut out early.

5. Paddy54

If any protest were going on they wouldn't be around that area. More so near city hall or the NW side of town.
    However I do understand not knowing a city as I travel a lot for work and one can find themselves in an area that's let's say kind of scary.

6. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

Went this morning, about half empty and more leaving every hour. Did find a nice coin, but ancient section was weaker than normal.

7. ddddd

ddddd Member

8. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Today was like a Sunday. Worst Whitman show I've been too. They closed early yesterday and a lot of dealers cut out early. Must've spooked them too since over a third didn't even set up today and it was completely dead by 2PM.

9. Paddy54

At a $1000 @ table I bet most took a loss on doing this show. Plus travel,expenses , etc.
    But to be honest we are in the middle of summer and vacation time. That speaks volumes to me that most were away on holiday.
    Spring and Fall shows there always seem to do better.

10. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

I was there early Friday and several dealers said they were leaving about 2PM.
    And there were many empty tables.

What prompted the mass exodus was a BLACK LIVES MATTER rally that was scheduled to occur later in the day.

As for me, I picked up 4 Capped Bust Quarters/Reduced Diameter (1831-1838).
    That brought me up to 18 die marriages out of 36.

Travlntiques, Paddy54 and Jaelus like this.
  11. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

I went Saturday morning with a friend whom has never been to a coin show. I picked up a few coin supplies and three modern commemorative half A BU 1982 D GW, 1993 BU Bill Of Rights, and the 2013 5 star generals half. My buddy picked up a BU 1993 B.O.R. half as well. It was dead because of the protest rumors. They never happened, so in my opinion a lot of dealers lost out. I understand why they left, but I guess I am used to the Baltimore Madness. I deal with variant forms of it on a nightly basis.

Paddy54 likes this.
  12. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Now we wait for the November show.

13. Paddy54

You know Kanga I need to drive down to Silver Springs and kidnap you in September and take you up to the Gettysburg show. I really believe you would like this show.
    I know you always do Baltimore and have favorite dealers,but
    I think you be surprised and would enjoy this show.
    Should you like to go pm me..... I'll drive no problem .
    Mike Dixon and Alan really put on a nice mid size show that draws from the mid west and Mid-Atlantic .

14. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I was there Friday when they opened to the public at 10am. The dealers started leaving at noon. By 2pm, half the dealers had left. By 3pm, 2/3 of them were gone, so I left at 3:15.
    The protest was supposed to happen near the inner harbor, where the show was taking place.

You should have heard all the fear in their voices. "We're all targets!" "You better leave soon." "I'm going back to my hotel and I'm not coming out till tomorrow!"

I'll stay away from the political comments, but considering the protests didn't start until about 7pm, much more business could have taken place than actually did. Guess I'm lucky I bought a few pieces in the few hours I had.

15. sigurd1959

sigurd1959 New Member

I went to the show on Friday and arrived at about 2pm. Not much in the way of a crowd but ancients dealers were still there. Had some long talks with them and was able to pick up a Hadrian quinarius, and a couple of beautiful Marcus Aurelius denarii. At 4pm everone was closing up and some were a little fearful. Overall, it was a good and informative time. Glad to hear that ther were no problems in town.

16. Paddy54

Having worked inner-city Baltimore as well as DC I can tell you this.....I've never have had an issue! And I do in my line of work travel in and out of Ghetto areas.
    Not it couldn't happen yes anything is possible. What many don't know is this.....
    Years ago I worked for the Irish Dairy board . Every June we put on a Christmas show where retailers would come to the Baltimore convention center and look over item items and get deals on just about everything in the food line.
    One year we were setting up the day after the coin show.
    Security was tight all around the center. The back side of the center is guarded and has a gate. No one was allowed in or out without the proper ID.
    As was security in and outside the front of the building was tight.
    I had several run in ' s with security as we were trying to get our vendors and products into the center.
    We would rent about 2/3's of the convention center for the show. We also would rent the ESPN zone on a Monday night from 5 to 10 pm for all you could eat and open bar.
    One must remember when you are in a situation as such the best defense is a good offense . Keeping ones eyes up and open and looking someone in the face as well as speaking often throws that person off guard.
    I truly doubt that with the security that is in place that anything or one would of had issues.
    I also can understand that people comfort level could be
    a concern .
    As far as crime goes there's no boundaries ,I've seen it in high dollar neighborhood's as well as the streets of any city.
    I truly believe that it is how one carries themselves that makes a difference as far as being a target.
    I always compare it to a person who has a fear of dogs.
    You ever notice how even the friendly dogs can pick up on a person whom is scared?
    In this hobby we all must realize that at any time we could be targeted at home as well at or traveling to a show.

17. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Would you like to see some coins purchased at this year's Baltimore show? I don't know if they'll be your cup of tea. After all, they are not entombed in precious NGC plastic.

Hadrian Cappadocia hemidrachm.jpg
    A rare hemidrachm of Emperor Hadrian. Roman Provincial fractional silver coinage is very uncommon during this time period, and the bust on this one is as nice as they come.

And if you want Greek fractional silver coinage, but want something with a Gallic touch, how about this beautiful Obol from Gaul, from the city state of Massalia (modern day Marseilles). I believe this one is from around 300BCE, or roughly two millennia before the U.S. ever struck it's first coin. Not bad, right?

Massalia (Gaul) Obol.jpg

18. rp3989

rp3989 Active Member

I was there on Saturday with my Son. We arrived around 11:45am. We usually attend the Baltimore show and I must say, we were very disappointed. My first clue was the registration table. No wait! Then we walk in and 1/3 of the tables are not setup and to top it off, as we start our search, vendors are closing up and packing away their stations. We made the best of it, considering we drove all the way from Delaware and picked up some maples, libertads, mercs and morgans. Also re-stocked on supplies. This time we ventured into Little Italy and brought back a pound of cookies and cannolis. I was also amused at how many people are playing Pokemon Go!! Crazy world. That's my report.

Travlntiques likes this.
  19. Paddy54

Vaccaro ' s huh guess the secret is out :)

20. Oysterk

Oysterk Active Member

I had a great show this time, it was a little slow saturday though. Posted a bunch of coins I got on another thread, but check it out @Sallent :

First Ancient! (I paid $10, $600 flip was from another coin :greedy:)
    IMG_6508.jpg

Sallent likes this.
  21. rp3989

rp3989 Active Member

Yup. You got it. Took me at least a 1/2 hour to find it.

Paddy54 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted