Any option for this coin? Specks of PVC

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by TrueCollectibleCoins, Jul 22, 2017.

1. This is a wheat penny that I recently purchased and like except for the fact that there are two specks of PVC on the reverse. Is there any method of salvation for this coin?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. I was considering using acetone, but I heard acetone and copper dont mix well

4. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

Pure acetone won't hurt the coin and will remove PVC residue. However, if copper has a layer of oil on it, acetone will remove that as well so the coin may look somewhat different. It can always be re-oiled. If there is corrosion where the PVC spots were, nothing will fix that. If the coin is really valuable, I'd have PCGS or NCS do the conservation.

Cal

5. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Acetone is only capable of reacting with copper in the presence of bright light and water, and even that's not proven science - to date, all the rumors you're hearing to that effect are based on one single scientific article from a group affiliated with people who have a product which competes with acetone.

Never stopped me from soaking copper in acetone just like any other coin. I'm unsure that's a PVC plasticizer problem on your coin, though; it doesn't usually manifest in two single small spots like that. If I were doing it myself, I'd start with a 24-hour soak and then pick at the green spots with a sharp thorn (roses and hawthorns are both terrific) with a vertical action to see if stuff breaks loose. Check around the Forum with the Search function for one of the numerous times we've discussed acetone use in detail.

TrueCollectibleCoins likes this.
  6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

It looks like it's in a slab.

7. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Use a product called VerdiCare. Its sold at wizard soon supply as well as eBay. Its was formulated by a Lincoln lovin' scientist member here @BadThad. The small bottle is around $15 and its well worth it especially if you think you'll be removing verdigris from more coins in the future. If not, acetone should work. VerdiCare is specially formulated for verdigris on copper coinage. Its very gentle and safe, and works well.

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Ehhh, kinda sorta but not really. The first I ran across these reports was on the NGC forum almost 20 years ago in posts made by highly respected members. People who know coins and who had personally had copper coins turn weird colors after using acetone on them. And not on all copper coins but on some of them.

After that I started doing tests myself and sure enough it happened often enough to be a concern. That's when I started posting about using acetone on copper not always being a good idea.

And the company you're talking about, I'm the one who dug up that scientific article and posted a link to it here for the first time.

So no, it's not rumors, it does happen. Not always, but it happens. And I'm not the only one who has seen it happen.

9. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Does it happen occasionally across ALL coins or only on specific coins (e.g. potentially something in the alloy used by X or at time Y)?

10. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

11. RickO

RickO Active Member

Those spots are verdigris... a reaction that copper has to oxidation.... You can try Verdicare... or, soak it in olive oil and use a rose thorn to remove it. There is very likely damage beneath the verdigris though....

12. Burton Strauss III

Interesting...

"X-ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy studies have shown that acetone, when used as a cleaning agent for copper in the presence of ambient light and water vapor, slowly reacts to form acetic acid. This reaction does not occur in the absence of light. This suggests that copper acts as a photocatalyst for the reaction between acetone and water vapor."

Also that they let the acetone soak 17 hours until it evaporated. And if you read the paper, the beakers containing acetone were placed into a water bath to ensure humidity. Finally, in the absence of light the reaction was completely inhibited.

So using low levels of light in a dry environment for short periods should be safe. But if you need long soaks, definitely use a dark environment with desicants.

13. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

So, Doug, do you think the changes you saw when copper coins were treated with acetone were genuine chemical changes or due to removal of oil, varnish, etc., which then allowed the true color and luster to be seen?

Cal

Stevearino likes this.
  14. GDJMSP

Nahhh, over the years I've seen all kinds of dates affected.

The ones I've tested, they didn't have anything on them, just ordinary coins. And the people I referred to earlier, they all knew more than enough to be able to recognize if there was anything on the coins. Best I can tell ya is what I've already said, sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't.

15. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Whoever knew chemistry could be so complicated... :)

16. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I've been unable to duplicate the reaction in experimentation. The results would be plain, because the positive outcome to the experiment would be close to what you'd get by reacting copper directly with vinegar as a control (not that I'm disclosing experimental method here).

I imagine it possible, but I couldn't do it.

17. Burton Strauss III

If you read the article, they sanded each copper "coupon" (their word). That would remove the outer layer of oxide...

18. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

It would be interesting to see if acetone can even react on a toned copper coin or if it would have to be a relatively untoned coin to react.

19. GDJMSP

All coins begin toning the moment after they are struck. Toning is a matter of degree, but it is always there. A lot of folks don't seem to realize that.

That said, the degree of toning could have an effect on whether or not acetone reacts with the copper. But then so could all of the other possible variables. Ya see that's kinda the thing - variables. People seem to think that everything is the same all the time, there's just a copper coin and acetone involved, But that isn't the case, there can literally be a thousand other variables involved to explain why some copper coins turn weird colors when rinsed in acetone and others don't.

And to understand that, to realize it, all you have to do is think for a minute. Everybody here is a coin collector and each and every one of you has seen the exact same kind of thing happen with all your coins. You guys who use albums, do all the coins in your albums tone just the same ? No they don't - not ever ! Well why not ? You can take 20 or 30 coins, all brand new coins fresh from the mint, and put them into an album and what happens ? Some tone to beautiful colors and others - they just don't. But yet nobody thinks there's anything unusual about that. Same thing happens with silver coins, clad coins, even gold coins.

Or, it might be that you put coins into albums and nothing happens, but your friends, your neighbors, their coins turn beautiful colors. Why ?

The answer is always the same, it's because of the all the variables involved. Each person, each house, each town, each state, even each country - they are all different, then throw in all the different storage methods - and you can have literally a thousand or more variables.

Nobody ever questions any of that. But say that acetone can sometimes cause copper to turn weird colors and it's oh no that can't ever happen because I've never had it happen to me. Well none of that other stuff happened to you either - but you can't deny that it did happen to others.

Different things happen because of all the variables involved, and there are always, always, always, variables involved.

Most people also don't think that copper can be successfully dipped either - because they can't do it. Or they've read that it can't be done. Well guess what ? Not only can it be done - it is done. And the proof of it in front of everybody's faces - but somehow they can't manage to see it. Why not ? Because they don't think.

20. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Acetone won't fix the spots on the OP's coin. Those are verdigris spots, where "verdigris" is a fancy term for "green rust."

21. It is. An ANACS slab. Coin looks good otherwise

Draft saved Draft deleted