Any one still use cash?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Pickin and Grinin, Oct 4, 2020.

?

MS OR AU

1. %

94.4%
  2. %

33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

I've still seen it around but not lately with the covid, mostly northern oakland county if I recall when I ventured up there.

steve westermeier likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

I spend cash only at restaurants ( dine -in ) and small purchases . What I hate is those zinc pennies . I just went through 50lbs of pennies, ughh .

4. beaver96

beaver96 Well-Known Member

I still believe cash is King. When bargaining the sight of cash can sway the seller. I do use CC when on the road mainly for ease of tracking expenses but pay cash for all my personal purchases. And I've never used anything but cash at a LCS.

5. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

Cash for movies.

6. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Why is he flippin' the bird to Kaua'i? :joyful:o_O

I only use cash at garage/flea market venues, coin/train shows, & such, plus tips @ restaurants. I find it to be too much of a hassle otherwise. And besides, I have 2 great cash back cards (Last car purchase, after the deal was made, the dealer let me put part on CC. Easiest $125 I ever made!) All cards are paid in full by their due date (otherwise, it could get dangerous! ;))

7. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

Sound advice - ATMs seem to be plentiful and highly visible in all gambling establishments, and your CCs are the keys to unlock the bank :woot:

8. STU

STU Active Member

i pay cash for all my transactions dont have to worry about card frauds at all

9. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Not sure. Had to go back nd look. that finger sure looks weak? Maybe an IDB?

PlanoSteve likes this.
  10. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I have never had credit. Have always refused the thought of spending money I don't have. Pay cash for vehicles and necessity's, rent, etc, etc.

One of these days I will get with the picture.

PlanoSteve likes this.
  11. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Jeez. How much cash is in your mattress?

12. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

I generally use credit cards for the cash back benefits. After 5 years and about 15 total cards (down to 7 now), I now have a card that gives at least 3% back on pretty much any conceivable purchase!

13. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

LOL. There's a weird misconception that credit cards ruin your life and put you in debt since you can technically "spend money you don't have."

Financially literate people understand that you don't have to max out your cards. Most literate people I know, me included, use credit cards like a debit card - we don't spend what we don't have.

Magnus87, jafo50 and CoinCorgi like this.
  14. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

About 85% cash, 10% checks, 4% Paypal, 1% Credit card

15. jafo50

jafo50 Active Member

I pay everything by credit card and always pay the full balance off when the bill arrives. You have to be smart when managing your money and the cash back check in February make it all worth while.

Magnus87 and LA_Geezer like this.
  16. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

+1

17. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

Likewise. My card issuer offers limitless 5% discount on gas which, even with the return of discounts for cash at many stations, has you coming out ahead. Same with restaurants, one of mine offers 5% three months out of the year, 2% the rest of the time. It adds up!

I was under the impression that the Hawaii quarters were a bit rarer than the rest of them, so I save them all. The ones I collected back then are about like this one...MS62.

18. Have'nt seen cash since I got married 20 yrs ago! is it still green?

19. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

I would never do this, but cash (coins) can be used to make a statement :rolleyes:

20. Mike Thorne

Mike Thorne Well-Known Member

Cash? What's that? My wife and I get the better part of $1000 back a year simply from charging everything on credit cards. Of course, the trick is to pay off the total each month. About the only cash I see is what's left behind in CoinStar machines. Before the pandemic, I would give my "barber" a $2 bill and a dollar coin as tip, but even that's gone now.

21. Mike Thorne

Mike Thorne Well-Known Member

I see several negative comments about using debit cards. The checking account I have (no service charges, 1% interest) requires me to make 10 debit charges a month so what I do is to go to Walmart and use the debit card for 10 low-cost items at the self-checkout machine. After that, I use the Walmart MC that pays 2% back. The bank account has some other requirements to get the full interest, but they mostly have to do with online deposits and payments, which I also use. I write few checks anymore. Even though I love coins and collecting them, I would have no problem living in a coin-free society. By the way, I enjoyed using cash on our trips to Europe and Mexico.

Draft saved Draft deleted