Any of these have value beyond $1 or $2

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by USS656, Aug 1, 2015.

1. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

Again, going through a collection of mostly US coins. There is a small mix of late 1800's to mid 1900's foreign coins that likely have little value. Not my area of collecting so the question is do any of these have enough value that I need to do some research to give a fair offer? Obviously I will research the silver coins (like the 1944 one shilling) at the bottom.

Thank you!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jlblonde likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

In your bottom row i notice a Netherlands 10 Cents 1941. This was probably minted in Philadelphia and was made for circulation in the Dutch Caribean and Surinam. In EF that does about 10 Dollars.

USS656 likes this.
  4. USS656

Thank you, was just finishing looking up the silver and found the value for that one at what you stated. Most of the rest of the silver was at $3 or less.

[​IMG]

5. jlblonde

jlblonde Señor Member

I like the Mexican 1897 Centavo.

6. jlblonde

jlblonde Señor Member

Just to note:
    The Belgian 1944 2 Franc coins were minted in the US using the blank zinc flans that had been originally intended for the US One Cent coin during WWII.

7. USS656

upload_2015-8-1_16-28-54.png

Thank you! I love copper from this time period!!! The 1933 is a little rough though.

8. Nevadabell

Nevadabell A picture of me.

Nice silver coins!

9. USS656

10. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

some interesting coins

11. xlrcable

xlrcable Active Member

Yeah, the 1897 centavo isn't worth a fortune but it's easily over your $2 threshold. Even uncirculated examples have that mushy-looking rim.

12. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

I would say:
    Mexican coin (one centavo 1897) - from 10 to 12 dollars.
    Belgian 2 francs 1944 - about 3 dollars for each coin.
    Netherlands 10 cents 1941 - from 3 to 4 dollars.

USS656 likes this.
  13. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

how did you acquire them that's some nice stuff to build a world type set.. you prolly have a good 80 $$ in foreign coins at a trade value.. hey send me the filippino centavos i collect them,.

14. Nevadabell

Nevadabell A picture of me.

I love those GB silver 1/ coins.

USS656 likes this.
  15. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

1920 5 cent Canadian = VG8 - $5

1906 10 cent Canadian = VG8 - $10

USS656 likes this.
  16. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

Many of the coins could be World War II souvenirs.

:)

USS656 likes this.
  17. USS656

I agree with the comment above.

Thank you to everyone that gave me some idea of value!!! Much of this I had confirmed on eBay but really appreciate the help making sure I didn't miss anything!

A coworker knows I am a collector and occasionally have bought collections the owners inherited and didn't want (as much as the cash that they could put to more productive use). I catalog the coins, determine market value as best I can, determine dealer value as best I can, then make an offer in the middle of the two. Leaves me some room to sell at a small profit or sit on / add to the collection as desired. I am very upfront with the information and try to provide as much backup information as possible.

In this particular case there was one coin (Barber half in VF condition) that was in a box with a note. The note was from the grandfather who had passed the coin to his son, which was then passed to the current son. It's importance was the date (1899) which was the year of his birth. He wanted his son to have the coin to remember him. This was all explained in the note. I handed the coin back to the wife and asked that the family keeps the coin and maybe consider giving it to their son. I gave them a temporary flip and will pick up an airtite on Monday for the coin. She didn't know the note was in the box and having read it, she agreed that the coin should stay in the family.

oldwormwood, ace71499 and jlblonde like this.
  18. USS656

Me too :)

19. ocjoe949

ocjoe949 Active Member

Me too! :)

20. oldwormwood

oldwormwood Collector

That is terrific, and a very thoughtful idea on your part!

Draft saved Draft deleted