Any medal heads?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Jwt708, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Hello everyone!

Any one here seriously collect medals? I've been getting into them quite a bit lately, mostly as a change of pace. I've looked over the website from the Medal Collector's of America and was curious if anyone had some good recomendations or resources.

I know there's the thread for posting exonumia, but hey, feel free to any medals!

-Jack

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sean the Coin Collector

Sean the Coin Collector Active Member

i collect military medal like from ww1 and ww2 but i dont think thats what your talking about !!

Jwt708 likes this.
  4. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I seriously collect the 1904 Louisiana Purchase Expo award medals in bronze - in their original cases of issue. Other than those I only collect medals that are very large, attractive, or have historical significance.

5. yarm

yarm Junior Member

I like 'em!
    [​IMG]

Effigy303 and Jwt708 like this.
  6. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

I collect medals but I prefer smaller ones
    around 35mm or less.

7. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I thought I'd hear from you - don't you usually post the really nice stuff in the exonumia thread? Is there a focus to medal collection or is it based off what you find appealing (this question goes for anyone)?

Seems to me like Europe has a greater or more extensive tradition of producing medals. Makes sense I suppose - more countries, more history.

8. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I prefer medals with women on them though:

[​IMG]

Jwt708 likes this.
  9. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Or huge Dutch medals with a Queen's portrait that was very similar to the one that was used on the 10 fl from 1897:

[​IMG]

Jwt708 likes this.
  10. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Or plaquettes with "Dania" representing Denmark and Carlsberg Brewery:

[​IMG]

Jwt708 likes this.
  11. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

One of my older medals with Charles I of Great Britain and his Queen consort Maria created by Simon de Passe in the 1630s:

[​IMG]

Jwt708 likes this.
  12. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

13. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Like coins, collecting medals by their country of origin, theme, etc. is left to the individual's preference. For that matter, you need not follow any criteria at all, but simply collect what you like.

Chris

14. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I've established a few themes for medals - German Shepherds, battle scenes, and roosters (ya that one is a little out there).

The Medal Collectors of America have a magazine and they put their back issues on line for free. The most recent edition they posted has a really cool article about major advancements in the design/minting of medals going back to the 1400s I believe. Only read about half of it but it was very interesting.

15. yarm

yarm Junior Member

I just go after designs I find appealing and then build on that. I had little interest in Victorian medals until this one came up on Ebay. Took my breath away!

[​IMG]

Jwt708 likes this.
  16. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

That is a stunner! Nice Yarm!

17. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Ok time a medal from me. I bought this one because I got it for what I feel was a good price, $9.99, otherwise I probably wouldn't have bought it. I do like it though and I think the tree looks really nice.

First National City Bank.jpg

18. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Now onto my favourite medal:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The box:

[​IMG]

The paperwork:

[​IMG]

Jwt708 likes this.
  19. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

That's a nice one, wow! What's the size of it?

20. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I'll have to measure it later, certainly not my largest - the Wilhelmina medal above is my largest non-British and I have another from Belgium that has an underdressed femme fatale that I cannot post here because June Cleever will slap me.

Draft saved Draft deleted