Any information on Eggleston's Grocery 15c chit?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by johnrpva, Apr 5, 2016.

1. johnrpva

johnrpva Active Member

Eggleston's Grocery 15c dep era retake.jpg Bought a tiny group of these...vendor did not know the time or place of origin?
    We believe it was sometime around the Great Depression (early 1930s)

Any help would be much appreciated. View attachment 491320

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2016
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Pictures are too small. Sorry.

4. johnrpva

johnrpva Active Member

Retake and updated..thanks for the quick advice

5. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

There was an Eggleston's Market in St. Ansgar, Iowa that closed in 1954, John. It was run by a man named Wesley H. Eggleston. I agree that your scrip was probably from the depression era, but I don't know if this store was opened back then or not. The scrip could date to a later period also.

I don't know if this is the store you're looking for, but at least you have a possibility to look into if you want to pursue it. I checked a newspaper archive I subscribe to, and found no mention of an Eggleston's Market. I thought they may have advertised at some point. Good luck with you're search.

Bruce

6. johnrpva

johnrpva Active Member

Thank you, Bruce...Can't be to many Eggleston's Grocerys out there so this has a high probability..I bought Dean Oakes Iowa Obsolete Book about a month ago---it is not listed there but he has a new edition which should be arriving in a day or two that includes scrip so I hope it might be there...Not in Mitchell-Shafer book on depression scrip, an area I like-scarce, inexpensive, lots of ways to collect, for both the collecting and investment potential..How did you know about St. Ansgar?
    John

BRandM likes this.
  7. BRandM

I did a general internet search, John, plus on a few subscription sites I have access to. Those little scraps of info were the only things I found. If you want to pursue it further, you might find what county St. Ansgar is in and search for a county history or local historical society that might be able to help you. Please let us know if you find anything.

Bruce

8. johnrpva

johnrpva Active Member

Brice...got this back from city offices at St. Ansgar..
    Wesley Eggleston and his grocery business in St. Ansgar -- 1954

LEASES BUILDING TO INTERSTATE POWER CO.
    ST. ANSGAR, IOWA -- Due to ill health, Wesley H. Eggleston, who has owned and operated a grocery store in St. Ansgar for the last several months, has leased the building to the Interstate Power Company and will sell his grocery stock at a public sale March 14.

Mr. and Mrs. Eggleston and daughters, Beverly and Mary Lee, will continue to live in the apartment upstairs and the Interstate company will occupy the entire downstairs rooms.

[ Waterloo Daily Courier, July 8, 1954

9. johnrpva

johnrpva Active Member

Couple of interesting things for you to look at..Counterstamps! IMG_0005.JPG IMG_0006-001.JPG this was on 2 penny coin...huge and heavy-2 ounces of copper! no knowledge of the CS on this IMG_0102.JPG IMG_0101.JPG

Have a couple of others...one an 1805 large cent, with Tickner stamp on a well worn obverse...the other on an 1845 Victoria Crown, graded AU58 with an S stamped near the edge of the reverse about 8 o'clock...Interesting stuff! Thanks again for your help with Eggleston's...John

10. BRandM

Thanks for getting back to us on the Eggleston scrip. I'm not positive about the attribution, but it seems like a good bet at least.

As far as your counterstamps are concerned. Initial/s-only stamps are notoriously hard to attribute for obvious reasons. There are a few around, bur just a handful that have been identified. The "RR" stamp on the English 2-penny might be that of a Sheffield (or other city) cutler or edge tool maker. They commonly stamped their logos or marks on large coins like this. There is a fair amount of research done on these maker marks, so you might find something on line. I used to know a couple of sites that dealt with these, but have since lost the addresses. If you Google "Sheffield cutlers" or something similar you should find them.

The Tickner mark you say you have sounds familiar. If you could send a picture of both sides of the coin, I'll gladly look into it for you. I believe it might be spelled "Ticknor", but I'll check it out. I did some research years ago on two brothers named Ticknor who were from Bridgeport, CT. This may be the same one that you have.

Bruce

11. johnrpva

johnrpva Active Member

Hi Bruce...thanks for the feedback...Well, it turns out our St. Ansgar's Eggleston's was misattributed in the article in the paper and that it was actually a café..Got a response from a lady who waitressed there! The people in that little town were remarkably cordial about responding.

I will see if I can find the Ticknor/er to try to send a photograph...

Appreciate your communication..J

12. BRandM

Hope you can find it, John. Looking forward to checking it out.

Bruce

13. R E Thompson

R E Thompson New Member

Eagleston grocery in late 1890 & early 1900 in Millsap Texas, Columbus Miss. and California operated different families members

14. R E Thompson

R E Thompson New Member

15. R E Thompson

R E Thompson New Member

16. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

So were those like ration stamps?

Draft saved Draft deleted