Any Info, Value, etc. '99 Nickel, Rotated reverse

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by PGND3R, Oct 18, 2020.

1. PGND3R

PGND3R New Member

I pulled this out of circulation around 2000 or so. Never really followed up on it so was wondering if any of you guy's know anything about it. A normal nickel on the front, when you flip it over, the reverse is rotated 90 degrees.

Attached Files:

Inspector43 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Can you take a focused image with the reverse showing clearly in a mirror

Martha Lynn likes this.
  4. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I noticed that there are 3 staples and they line up in support of the claim. Unless the OP moved the coin between shots, it looks genuine. But, there is a fold on the holder and one staple appears to be out of place from original.

5. expat

Hence, my question. The two vertical staples are OK, but the horizontal one looks to have been replaced which gives me pause

6. PGND3R

PGND3R New Member

The fold in the holder came when I was taking it out of the page. It does not affect the coin at all. Here are some pics in a mirror. This should clear up any doubts. I tried to upload a video but the file was too large.

Attached Files:

Mike Davis and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  7. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Not sure about value except that it is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
    Looks like a 90 degree rotation.

8. expat

It happens less often on more modern issues than in older times, 90 degrees or more is when interest by collectors is more focused. Try to find past sales on e-bay to get a guide for value

Inspector43 and John Burgess like this.
  9. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

You will struggle to find a comparable on ebay in my opinion I was looking just yesterday, many are older and much less rotation usually 25 degrees or less.

You're still kicking this one around eh? Lol.
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/1999-p-nickel-rotated-reverse.297236/

Not gonna get you enough to retire for sure. Maybe a nice cup of coffee though.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  10. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Have you examined the edge of the coin? I'm not saying it isn't real, but it has been know to faked.

SensibleSal66 and alurid like this.
  11. PGND3R

PGND3R New Member

I did examine the edge and it is normal. Nothing to indicate a fake. Thanks to John Burgess who found the original thread on this. I thought I asked about this before but since then that computer crashed and I lost everything. Wasn't sure what site, turns out it was this one so figured I'd re-post and start over fresh. lol.

John Burgess likes this.
  12. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

It was easy to find searching the internet for the coin by date and mint mark and rotation.

Surprised really that it hadn't come up a bit more frequently elsewhere.

13. PGND3R

PGND3R New Member

Must not be a lot of them out there, at least not discovered yet.

John Burgess likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted