Any ideas on this gilded buckle thing?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Milo W, Jul 10, 2024.

1. Milo W

Milo W Member

I recently bought this gilded buckle thing for $5 in a box of Roman artifacts. I’m not quite sure what it is, and research has not been fruitful, so I was wondering if y'all have any ideas?
    IMG_7786.png IMG_7787.png
    IMG_7934.jpeg
    Thanks!

PlanoSteve and SensibleSal66 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Absolutely no idea, but it is intriguing since it is gilded, so probably meant to be seen. Here's my SWAG:

Perhaps it is a "belt" loop to hold leather straps. Because of its size, it would have to be rather thin straps, perhaps something like horse tack or military (soldier/commander) accoutrements.

The fact that it's gilded would lead me to believe it is more than just utilitarian.

JMHO

Milo W likes this.
  4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

What? It’s not a ring for a square finger? :smuggrin:

Milo W likes this.
  5. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

That's pretty cool. IDK what it was used for but if genuine, it has to be worth more than $5. Every week in the Kovell's newsletter they show a "what's it?".
    And people guess what the weird antique is. 99% of the time, they know what it is, or someone can identify it. I am sure some of the ancient experts here will have an idea. Be patient.

Milo W likes this.
  6. Milo W

Milo W Member

It’s a pretty neat find! My local coin store has a section of artifacts and the sort, and the prices are really nice since not many people visit that part of the shop. I got a Roman/Early Medieval propeller belt stiffener for $3 today! IMG_7961.png

For the buckle, I’ve settled that it’s likely a decorative buckle/leather holder of some sort.

Attached Files:

Michael K likes this.
  7. Milo W

Milo W Member

I agree. The gilding makes me think it was used on clothing of some sort - it would be quite the flashy buckle!

PlanoSteve likes this.
  8. romismatist

romismatist Well-Known Member

Part of a sword scabbard? Would have held together the leather parts?

Milo W and PlanoSteve like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted