Any Ideas on This 1903 IHC ?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Hoky77, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Hoky77

Hoky77 Well-Known Member

The O in one is missing some material. I doubt it is a die defect and it doesn't look like a hit as nothing around it is deformed. A planchet defect does not seem likely in a location like this either. Maybe some dirt in the die?
    1903obv.jpg rev.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

If not damage then possibly a detached die chip.

Hoky77 likes this.
  4. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

This to my eye is typical Longacer doubling as it is the way the letters were cut to last longer striking coins. Cut like press type would look set in a printing press.

Hoky77 likes this.
  5. Hoky77

Hoky77 Well-Known Member

Detached die chip would make sense. I believe the reverse die is the anvil so a chip wouldn't just fall out. Wouldn't the missing piece create a die variety?

6. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

The die break connecting the E_N in cents...is cool .

JPeace$ and Hoky77 like this.
  7. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Not a variety but possibly damage. More likely it fell away after it was ejected, if this is a die chip.

8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I would say damage. Notice how it lines up with the mark across the N and the line continuing into the field.

9. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

I would classify it by what I call "strategic damage". Damage that just by chance strongly resembles a true mint error. The metal underneath looks too rough, like it was torn away and not produced by a die anomaly - IMO.

Here's an example of strategic damage:

194XError.jpg

10. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I think it’s just a little hit as well. Notice the metal pushed up at the lower portion of the O. Really nice image though, what type of camera do you use?

11. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I see metal movement. That suggests damage

12. Hoky77

Hoky77 Well-Known Member

I like the images too, pics were taken by the dealer that sold me the coin. I would ask him about his camera, but then I would have to have one. :)

Kirkuleez likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted