Any ideas on MS70 coin cleaner?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Idries Pappas, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Idries Pappas

Idries Pappas Well-Known Member

I am considering buying MS70 coin cleaner for some dirty coins, coins with PVC damage, and coins with tarnished reverses from an old cardboard holder and I'm wondering if anybody knows how it works or if it's safe. Any ideas?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Every coin is different. Some can be helped. MS70 is a good product but may not be best on some coins. I'm not really good at searching this site but there are some really good threads here on the topic.
    Welcome to CT.

4. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I use MS-70, but only on select coins. I never use it on copper and the silver coins I use it on have no toning. I will use it only on uncirculated or high AU silver coins and typically only ones with a bit of haze or gunk on them. If it has PVC, you want to soak it in acetone first.

coinzip likes this.
  5. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

I agree that you should first try Acetone on your silver coins for PVC.

V. Kurt Bellman likes this.
  6. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

MS70 is good for removing light haze or staining, and it's good for silver sliders. You do not want to use MS70 on a dirty or contaminated coin - that's not what the product is for.

For dirt removal you want to soak in distilled water, and for PVC residue you want to soak in acetone.

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

MS70 is a great product - for certain things ! But only those things. If you are a collector of modern coins, and that is to be read as clad coins, it works great to remove haze from modern Proofs and make them look their best. It has a similar but to a slightly lesser degree of effect on modern business strikes.

On older coins, gold, silver and nickel, it can be helpful at times but to an even lesser degree. DO NOT use it copper - period ! MS70 will turn copper blue or purple - and pretty much everybody who knows coins knows it and will recognize it.

Don't use it to try and remove PVC, don't use it to remove ordinary dirt and grime, don't use it on toned coins, don't use it to try and remove glue, etc etc etc.

Put in simplest terms, if you have a modern coin that looks good, sometimes using MS70 can make it look even better.

serafino likes this.
  8. Idries Pappas

Idries Pappas Well-Known Member

Are there any other safe ways of removing PVC residue other than acetone?

9. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Yes, but safety is in how you handle and apply a chemical. Acetone is the safest and most effective method to remove PVC residue.

jtlee321 and serafino like this.
  10. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I could not agree more. Acetone is without a doubt the "Industry Standard" for removing PVC contamination. The only dangerous part about acetone is it's fumes and how they react to open flame or sparks. Simply use in a well ventilated area and you are perfectly fine.

serafino likes this.
  11. GDJMSP

Yes, acetone is the industry standard. But xylene will do it just as well and just as safely. But xylene is far less known than acetone. In fact until I started posting about it here many years ago I can't recall ever seeing anyone ever posting about it for use on coins. That doesn't mean it's never happened, merely that I'd never seen it. But today it's talked about more often.

serafino likes this.
  12. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

Just a note, here in Calif. you can not buy Xylene. For now you can still buy Acetone.

13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Use acetone, it will work better and it is cheaper.

14. GDJMSP

Really ? They must be trying to put painting contractors out of business :D

It's a very common product and sold in any paint store. But as you say it IS Calf. !

Draft saved Draft deleted