Any ideas on how this was done?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by dollar, Nov 16, 2009.

1. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

I have every copy of coin world for the last few years and I have read them all cover to cover... I'm sorry but I haven't seen an explanation for these yet other then post mint damage.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

Do you like hot, melted butter on toast?

4. CashDude

CashDude Member

WTF? A hammer job cent gets 6 pages of replies? LOL.

5. CashDude

CashDude Member

And BTW I can prove to you that this is a squeeze job by the first pic. A 1992 is a Wide AM. The coin that was squeezed onto this one was a post-1992 Close AM. End of thread.

6. dollar

dollar Junior Member

Not quite the end...
    Thanksgiving is coming up this Thursday and below is a image of what I will be having. I went to 5 different dealers in the last couple of days (one was a two hour drive) and ALL but one of them laughed me out of the shop. To make my day worse, when I looked at my e-mail that night, two (very well know people in the coin world) told me the same.
    SO... I will not be sending this coin to anyone... and...
    I would like to take this time to humbly say to all of you (esp. RAIDER34)
    my apologizes for not believing all of you right up front...
    You guys know your stuff and I wasted a lot of gas and time learning this.
    ...dollar...

Attached Files:

7. raider34

raider34 Active Member

No problem, everyone makes mistakes. Just consider the gas money and time, Numismatic tuition :D, every collector has probably paid theirs at some point, I know I have.

But overall I think this thread was pretty productive, because there's a ton of good info on squeezed/hammered coins.

8. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Dollar, I appreciate the above posting. There is nothing wrong with making a mistake. We learn a tremendous amount by justifying our point of view. I can barely remember my Oral Defenses of my degree thesis. There are some who wouldn't admit their error no matter what. Enjoy the black turkey on Thanksgiving :) Pour Catsup or Salsa all over it.

Jim

9. DoK U Mint

DoK U Mint In Odd we Trust

Smokin'

:eating::eating::eating::high5::high5:

Attached Files:

10. ziggy9

ziggy9 *NEC SPERNO NEC TIMEO*

Dollar
    It takes guts to come here and admit that you were wrong. Usually when this type thread happens the original poster finds out the truth and just never comes back. In my eyes you have earned back a lot of respect just by coming back and filling us in.

Oh..and just an aside, catsup is no good on crow, I found out a long time ago that it goes down better with dijon mustard and a decent red wine :}:}

Richard

11. TheBigH

TheBigH Senior Member

Actually, I prefer ketchup. Catsup is too oily for crow meat.

12. bhp3rd

bhp3rd Die varieties, Gems

I to respect your owning up to a mistake. Now you are ready to learn.

I to respect your owning up to a mistake. Now you are ready to learn.

"I've never learned a thing until I made a mistake"!

13. DoK U Mint

DoK U Mint In Odd we Trust

Not a waste. You now respect 4 dealers, no?

14. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

Dollar:

You earned much respect back by coming on and manning up to your mistake. When it comes to error coins, the experts on this site know their stuff. This experience will help you have an open mind and be willing to consider others opinions. All in all, a great lesson, and one we ALL need to have at some point.

Now, keep posting as this is a GREAT site.

Draft saved Draft deleted