Any ideas on how this was done?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by dollar, Nov 16, 2009.

1. ziggy9

ziggy9 *NEC SPERNO NEC TIMEO*

Morgan-lover
    please explain to us how you think this may have happened at the mint?as another person that has looked at thousands upon thousands of coins a month looking for errors and varieties i have seen many of these and have even shown how its done. Please offer evidence to the contrary.

Richard

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. morgan-lover

morgan-lover Junior Member

If you take the trade papers, a coin exactly like this one was shown as a mint error... and went through several hands before it was declared a mint error. Everyone doesn't have the same experience... No matter if you have looked at 5000 coins or 100000 coins.

This "error" could have been created by being caught in a certain type counting machine... but there are a few diagnostics on the coin that led me to believe it is an error.

BTW... I have been collecting since 1991... Coins, Currency and Stamps. This may be my first post here but it is not my first post in a coin forum; I belong to several of them.

4. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

What specific "diagnostics" led you to believe this is a mint error?

5. bhp3rd

bhp3rd Die varieties, Gems

In regards to the crow meat, learn to love it!

In regards to the crow meat, learn to love it!

6. nightowl

nightowl Member

Here's some interesting reading....

For your edification....the part you are supposed to pay attention to is the part where they tell you that the rim of the coin on a genuine brockage error will NOT be damaged.

http://conecaonline.org/content/OhNo0028.htm

Nightowl

7. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

The "diagnostics" of stuborness, one-track-mindedness, and just-trying-to-get-a-rise-out-of-everyoneness.

8. morgan-lover

This is a strange group. It seems more interested in hurling invectives at people.

I'm new in this group and did I get a welcome? No, manners don't count.

I'm not interested in commenting on loaded questions where the questioners respond with denigrating stones instead of intelligent questions.

I don't want to mention any of the trade papers for fear of getting a violation as I did when I asked my first question. But anyone in the hobby should be taking at least 3 to five trade papers/magazines and on all of the email list of the TPG. Everyone in here should have the respectible members of the ANA, have a VAM chart or book, be a member of one of the specialized groups, i.e. CONECA, EAC, etc., have at least 3 books on error coins, Have a copy of BREENS, Know that errors are only made at one point in the minting process... subscribe to auction catalogues (wealth of info in those books) and that no one knows everything... or else, why would there still be NEW DISCOVERIES every now and then.

Can anyone tell me about the Newest find of the Walking Liberty Type Coin? Who possessed it and why?

I'm chilled out... I'm just surprised at the reception committee that I got... and it seems like the same people time after time...

This letter is not meant as disrespect towards anyone.... so don't take it that way.

9. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

Which diagnostics would those be???

10. raider34

raider34 Active Member

That's because you haven't introduced yourself. I guarantee you that if you post a thread in the "Introductions" section, you will get many welcomes.

11. morgan-lover

You're right... and you got my point... either it is a true MINT error or it is an "error" caused by some other means... in which case it is not an error. Think a little deeper. You'll see the point I was making.

There are two high relief areas on the coin that leads to my conclusion of mint error. Can you find them and describe them?

12. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

Morgan Lover,

You stated that specific diagnostics led you to believe it was an error; I asked you what those diagnostics were. That is not a loaded question, it's merely putting the burden of proof on your shoulders, and since you are claiming it is an error that is exactly where the burden of proof should be.

13. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

Can you describe what you mean by "high relief" areas??? you mean raised areas??

If that is what you mean then I can explain.

Imagine 2 coins sitting against each other. Both have raised details... no arguing with that...

If you push these 2 said coins together they will of course leave an impression on each other that will be down into the coin and will be a mirrored image of the raised part... following me?

If then again with a slight rotation press these coins together again... you then repeat the original markings.. but now the incuse marks you made the first time leave raised marks of their own...

This is how your coin was created in detail. This is the only way it could have been created and it was not created at the mint. If this is not enough for you I'm sorry to say there isn't any more explanation that can be given. Things like this do not happen at the mint. The coins are only struck with dies with incise design on them. Leaving a raised image. Errors can happen at the mint that leave an incuse design on the coin but these are caused by a capped die or a previously struck coin and are easily identifiable because the rim of the coin will show no damage.

14. DoK U Mint

DoK U Mint In Odd we Trust

On Board, Again

LostD~There will be a day I must show up at your shop. No way to avoid it. I really hope to find you there and I hope to bring some "stuff" as I respect your opinions.

I am really REALLY curious to to see where this plays out and hope the truth be confirmed.

Which diagnostics would those be??:hammer:

15. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

I did welcome you. But as stated, you didn't introduce yourself either.

So, if you aren't doing all of the above, you shouldn't be in the hobby? You "should" be a member of a specialized group to be in the hobby? You mean, it isn't OK to just love coins and collect them? Huh? LOL You are a funny dude.

16. ziggy9

ziggy9 *NEC SPERNO NEC TIMEO*

Morgan-dollar
    You came on this site with a "no one but me knows what they are talking about" attitude and then when you were asked for the "diagnostics" you state trade papers but
    don't offer any actual diagnostics. People mention trade papers here all the time. the only thing that is forbidden is self promotion of a business. So please post the links so we can see the diagnostics ourselves.

Richard

17. morgan-lover

You can see by the replies Who I am talking about in this forum. People who are serious, like the Lost-d... I comment you on that analysis.

I'm going to hunt down the article that gives a photo of the same type error and share it with you.

Also, what I meant by educate yourself... No one should be asking simple simon questions that a little reading would give you the answer. If I teach you to fish, you won't have to beg me for the fish I have caught.

Lost_D... comments!

18. DoK U Mint

DoK U Mint In Odd we Trust

:eat:

19. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Well Welcome to forum! This is a diverse group, with different interest and expertise. Generally the sharing of knowledge and references should be promoted upfront and early in the thread if you have them. Many don't like the gotcha guessing games, where ignorance or need is firstmost and then the HA! gotcha, to prove you know more than the others.

I sure would like to see the same type coins that were passed by a top TPG, or at least their #, so they could be looked up. Maybe that would help us see what you are trying to point out.

Jim

20. morgan-lover

Do you read Coin World?

21. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Some of the people that replied above actually write for it. You didn't like their answers either. If you have a reference, give it.

Jim

Draft saved Draft deleted