Any ideas on how this was done?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by dollar, Nov 16, 2009.

1. raider34

raider34 Active Member

Lol, thanks, but those poor Lincoln cents I hammered will never forgive me for my patience :goofer:. Now they get an X put on them and sent to my experiment bag, just so they don't get released into circulation again, and confuse someone else.

Honestly I will pay the grading fees, plus any bet you want to make, if that exact coin comes back graded by PCGS as a mint error.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dollar

dollar Junior Member

4. raider34

raider34 Active Member

Deal. All you'll have to do is post pics of both the obverse and reverse of the slab when it comes back, plus, the copy of the PCGS email to you that tells the grade.

How much do you want to bet besides the grading fees?

5. ziggy9

ziggy9 *NEC SPERNO NEC TIMEO*

the reason your coin cannot be exactly duplicated is because each time it is done it is lined up different and the way one person would hit it is different than another. That doesn't mean that the method of manufacture is different just that the results may vary. I guarantee you that this is a Hammer/squeeze/vice job and definatly created outside the US Mint. its value is one cent and the money you spend getting it graded will be money wasted as the coin will come back bodybagged as damaged.

Some say advice is worth what you pay for it but in this case the lesson is offered for free but may get expensive before you learn it.

As for the nickel, I whacked it with a ten pound sledge.

Richard

6. ziggy9

Might I suggest that since you are willing to pay for grading of his coin if he is right that maybe he pay for the grading of a coin of your choice if he is wrong?

Just a suggestion
    Richard

7. dollar

dollar Junior Member

Grading fees will be fine...

8. raider34

raider34 Active Member

Grading fees, plus no extra bet? Ok. Just let us know when it comes back.

9. ziggy9

At least he gets to pay twice for his lesson...

10. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

Raider....I'm impressed with your patience.

Dollar....what in the world is wrong with you?

11. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

What has Dollar confused is that his coin also shows doubling of the back of Lincolns head. Something none of the experiments recreated. However it is possible for the first blow of the hammer to also create an incuse image of Lincoln in the top coin. Then when the coin is shifted and struck again that incuse image of lincoln can act as a die and create a raised doubled image of Lincoln (the doubled back of the head). Still not a mint error and still created by stacking coins and hitting them with a hammer.

12. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

Are you sure it's not just his stubborn refusal to face reality?

13. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

I have literally seen hundreds of these in all sorts of denominations, shapes, and sizes.

Dollar I'm sorry but this is not an error...

They have explained it the best way possibile and your not listening to what they are saying.

14. morgan-lover

morgan-lover Junior Member

This is an error coin in my humble opinion.

I have had several coins I sent to a prominent TPG and they erroneous attributions. On one coin they changed the attribution/variety TWICE. I knew the area I was collecting in and immediately knew they were wrong. I strongly suggest anyone collecting coins or currency; to be familiar with what you are dealing with. Experts didn't become experts by letting someone else make a decision for them.

The more knowledge you have the more likely you are to run across a coin that is attributed wrongly.... or you might even find a new variety. But if you don't know your business... you can sell a $6000 coin for $300 and no one is at fault because a transaction assumes a person knows what he is selling OR buying.

15. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

And you happened to join CT and read this thread and make this your first post. Um......OK........

Welcome to the forum.

I can say this, this thread is strangely entertaining.....

16. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Gotta agree, there it is in a nutshell. Take it from me dollar, if 1 person tells you something then they could be wrong but if 3 or more say something. Then maybe you are wrong and need to listen!!!

Why don't you just grab a hammer and try it yourself, or take it to a coin store and get 86'ed!!

Attached Files:

• 4.gif
      4.gif
      File size:
      9.3 KB
      Views:
  17. dollar

dollar Junior Member

I did just that... today I went to a coin dealer and let him see it... to hold the coin in his hand. The long and short of it... he said he was willing to pay me $10.00 for the penny. He looked at it with magnification and weighed it. He couldn't say yes (or) no if it was an error. BUT, he was willing to give me $10.00 for it! I DID try to duplicate this with a hammer and a vice but came up WAY short of anything like this one. Believe me, I KNOW what I'm up against here, but want to see this one thru.
    P.S. While in town today, I did pick up some CROW meat. (I'll keep it in the freezer just in case).

18. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

Well, he's obviously a dealer that doesn't specialize in errors.

I am and I do.

I'm sorry he wasn't able to properly inform you about what this piece is. But I will guarantee you that this is not an error.

19. foundinrolls

foundinrolls Roll Searching Enthusiast

That dealer was clueless. Tell me who he was and I'll email him and teach him why the coin is not an error.

We went through this in the error section as well. The coin is, as most everyone agrees. Just junk.

I wonder if dollar is really that stubborn or is just using the coin to troll through the forum.

Thanks,
    Bill
    PS: If he really is serious and really wants to get the coin slabbed, it's his wasted money.

20. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

Dollar,

Many here have offered explanations as to why this is PMD, but I've yet to hear one explanation from you as to why it is a mint error and how this could have possibly occured at the mint.

21. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

Original comment deleted.

Telling Dollar what I think of him is not worth getting dinged by the Mods.

Draft saved Draft deleted