Any ideas on how this was done?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by dollar, Nov 16, 2009.

1. raider34

raider34 Active Member

I've already posted images of the coin I hit. Just look at the imprint of ONE on the obverse. See how it's backwards and indented? The only way that could happen is if a coin was laid on top of it and pressure was applied.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dollar

dollar Junior Member

Please explain the doubling in this... is this because someone put TWO coins on top of each other and THEN applied a hammer?

Attached Files:

4. raider34

raider34 Active Member

It's doubling of the ONE, the coin was hit, and then the coin on top was slightly shifted clockwise and hit again, and it gives the appearance of doubling.

5. dollar

dollar Junior Member

You HAVE got to be kidding me.. someone took the time to hit a coin with a hammer and then again to hit it again to appear a double? Are you serious?

6. raider34

raider34 Active Member

100% serious, and it would take all of 10 seconds. I doubt the intent was to make the appearance of doubling, just they didn't line the coin up exactly on the second hit.

I'm interested, what's your explanation for the coin?

7. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Yes he is serious. People do all kinds of things to coins and this one was just hit twice.

8. dollar

dollar Junior Member

I'm interested, what's your explanation for the coin?
    Again, my interest is how this was done if not by the mint... please do me a favor and post a photo of what you claim CAN BE DONE and what I have posted...

9. nightowl

nightowl Member

I have an idea. Why not join CONECA and submit the coin to a third party grading service. Dominion will slab errors, and one of their graders was president of that esteemed organization twice. You have apparently convinced yourself that it's not "post mint damage", and rather than belabor the point, just send it to a TPG....and they can tell you what everybody here has tried to tell you. Maybe if you pay for the information you'll place a higher value on it.

Nightowl

10. DoK U Mint

DoK U Mint In Odd we Trust

well....I wasted a few minutes whacking my two cents together.

My results differed but I'm still intrigued as to how this came about.

11. dollar

dollar Junior Member

At least your honest about your results... PLEASE (anybody) post any results you get.... I THINK THIS IS A MINT ERROR....

12. dollar

dollar Junior Member

I have an idea. Why not join CONECA and submit the coin to a third party grading service. Dominion will slab errors, and one of their graders was president of that esteemed organization twice. You have apparently convinced yourself that it's not "post mint damage", and rather than belabor the point, just send it to a TPG....and they can tell you what everybody here has tried to tell

WHAT??? belabor what point... what has (everybody here) been trying to tell me?

13. raider34

raider34 Active Member

[​IMG]
    There is an example of the doubling effect with the word CENT from the reverse, in my example the second hit was slightly more rotated then in your example, but the outcome is pretty much the same.

See how CENT is backwards, just like ONE in your example? And see the 2 circular lines on my coin, like your coin has?

14. dollar

dollar Junior Member

With all due respect, PLEASE. look at my posts and your example...THEY ARE NOT THE SAME!!!

15. raider34

raider34 Active Member

I know they are not the same, they are from two different words, and the separation is greater in my example, because the second coin was rotated slightly further clockwise.

Are you really going to ignore all the examples I've listed in this thread? Again, the reverse details are incuse on your example, and the image is reversed (backwards), there's no way that can be caused by the mint. It was done by placing another Lincoln cent on top of your coin applying pressure, the top coin was then slightly rotated clockwise and pressure was applied again.

16. dollar

dollar Junior Member

Do me a favor, put your BEST examples together (and make sure that Lincoln is doubled too) and then post...

17. dollar

dollar Junior Member

If you can copy this with your theory, THEN, I will agree...

Attached Files:

• copy.jpg
      copy.jpg
      File size:
      164.6 KB
      Views:
  18. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

Talk about proof - I'd like some proof that "Dollar" isn't the same troll who has been posting multiple garbage threads under different names.

19. raider34

raider34 Active Member

Sorry, but I'm not going to destroy and more Lincolns, and waste anymore of my time. I believe all the info I've already posted is more then enough, but if you still want to believe it is a mint error go ahead.

As Nightowl suggested before you can always submit it to TPG (PCGS or NGC). And I would be willing to bet any amount of money you want, plus the grading fees, that your coin would not grade due to damage.

20. bigjpst

bigjpst Well-Known Member

I was wondering when you were going to get tired....you have more patience than every person I know put together

21. dollar

dollar Junior Member

"Sorry, but I'm not going to destroy and more Lincolns, and waste anymore of my time"...
    Let's see, maybe four cents? Time, five minuets? Come on...
    I know you gave me all the reasons NOT to submit this coin to PGCS...
    BUT, I am going to submit the coin and will let you know... thanks
    To hontonai... your wrong...

Draft saved Draft deleted