Any idea ?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by kenny reynolds, May 24, 2016.

1. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  2. Any ideas what might be on this 1957 D Lincoln penny ?

3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Looks to possibly be a small lamination.

kenny reynolds likes this.
  4. What type of camera or scanner is best to take good photos of coins ?

5. furryfrog02

I have an old cannon digital that I use to take pictures of the entire coin. They turn out ok. I also have a cheap chinese USB microscope to take close ups. They aren't as clear but they work. Your pictures are decent for what you are trying to point out I think.

6. That was a usb microscope , but for the entire coin I been trying to use my iPhone which doesn't work so well.. Lol

7. furryfrog02

Does it have a macro setting? I would use that. I would imagine that an iphone would have a macro setting and take decent pictures.

8. Not sure but I'll find out
    not sure but i will look Ty !

9. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

There is no simple answer of what camera is "best", or one that will magically allow for the highest quality of photos by simply pressing the shutter release, but your iPhone should be more than sufficient and allow for perfectly acceptable images. It's probably safe to say that any issues you're having are not due to the camera used, but to technique.

10. tomfiggy

tomfiggy Well-Known Member

I tried using my iPhone 6+ which has a great camera. Even with the macro setting it won't focus on anything more than three inches away. I can't see the details. I bought a clip on macro lens but still can't get good pics. I just use the USB microscope now. It's hard but if I can get the cheap stand that came with it to work I can get a reasonable pic of the whole coin but one side is always more in focus than the other

11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

What a coin! The date is minted on a 45 degree angle from what it should be! :)

12. tomfiggy

tomfiggy Well-Known Member

Might be super glue. Soak it in acetone for ten minutes and see if it dissolves.

13. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

iPhones are possibly the single best smartphone cameras for imaging coins. Use the highest-available resolution, square the phone to the coin (sitting vertically above it; you can lay it on a box peeking over the edge, as long as it's nice and square) about 5-6" above the coin for best result. Trigger the shutter remotely, either with the timer or an outside trigger method, so you're not touching the phone when the shutter snaps. iPhones will trigger the camera using the Volume button, so if you have earbuds with a Volume control you can use those as a remote trigger.

14. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

My advice as well. Glue.

15. dbNick

dbNick New Member

16. JAY-AR

JAY-AR Well-Known Member

It also appears to be a D/D

Draft saved Draft deleted