Any Idea What This Is?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by JickyD, Dec 9, 2019.

1. JickyD

JickyD Active Member

I came upon this in a bag with three old Indian Head cents that looked like they had been dug. I have no idea what it is. Can anyone tell me if it looks real, or worth bothering with? It's about 19 mm and weights around 1 gram. IMG_E2594.JPG IMG_E2593.JPG

chrsmat71 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Looks like a follis of Maximian. Jupiter in the reverse holding a spear and passing Nike to a figure of the Emperor dressed in military kit and holding a scepter, and the legend CONCORDIA MILITIVM

Probably just like the one below:

maximian.jpg

I'm sure yours is real, just badly worn and corroded.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  4. Barry Murphy

Barry Murphy Well-Known Member

It would have to be Galerius or Constantius I as the obverse legend ends CAES, otherwise Sallent is correct, it’s a Cyzicus mint post reform radiate.

Barry Murphy

5. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

I trust Barry Murphy. Personally I saw the legend and swear I saw AVG at the end, but if @Barry Murphy says it's CAES you can be sure with 100% confidence that's what it is. He is the top authenticator of ancients in the world.

Theodosius likes this.
  6. JickyD

JickyD Active Member

Wow, that was quick! Thank you!

7. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

Damn, thats quite a claim you got there...but if you said it, I believe it.

8. JickyD

JickyD Active Member

Here's some more pictures of it. Is it a common coin, or should I lock it up in a safe? IMG_E2595.JPG IMG_E2596.JPG IMG_E2597.JPG IMG_E2598.JPG

9. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

JickyD likes this.
  10. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

Ancients are more numerous than most people think. That is a $5ish coin in monetary terms, but really cool for being so old and being part of interesting historical times.

Justin Lee, Orielensis and JickyD like this.
  11. Barry Murphy

Barry Murphy Well-Known Member

I could be wrong as well. Looks like I see an AES but I’m looking on my phone. The condition is such it’s hard to read.

Barry Murphy

12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Yes and there are a hundred ugly ones for every coin most collectors want for their collection. Beginners often think that a coin that is over 1500 years old has to look like garbage and belongs in a museum as a great rarity. Theodosius may be right about the $5 part but very few people who have any interest in ancient coins would buy a coin that far gone for any price. They tend to show up to be sold to people who do not know that you can get a decent one for very little more. This one can not be IDed with certainty due to condition (I believe it is Maximianus ending PFAVG an see the mintmark as KE). RIC lists officina E for the two Augusti and not for the Caesars. I generally would not be so bold as to disagree with Barry but he admitted to what I consider a serious handicap (using a phone for something other than making calls) so I'll go AVG anyway.

I do not have a KE but have one from officina four (delta).
    ru3660bb1921.jpg

However if the reading of the mint city as K is wrong , Heraclea (H) allows E for the Caesars so we are back to not knowing whether it is CAES or AVG. Again I don't have an HE so I'll show an HA (officina one).
    ru3650bb1554.jpg

JickyD, Andres2 and Bing like this.
  13. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Do NOT lock it up in a safe. At this point you can do the coin no harm. So hold it in your hand. Imagine what the world was like back then, 1700+ years ago. Imagine all the people before you who have held it, what they used it for. The coin is your own, personal connection to the ancient Roman Empire.

Admit it, you're hooked already, aren't you?

14. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

In some ways the very worn coins were the most loved - and used by people the most, merchants, soldiers, anybody really and worth keeping because of this fact alone. We collect ones that either went missing early on in their period of circulation or were hoarded away.

JickyD likes this.
  15. JickyD

JickyD Active Member

I'll admit, I had to Google nearly every word Barry and others had said to figure out what they were even talking about, and it has been a fun learning experience for me....Thanks all.

16. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

It's a long learning process--I'm still learning after collecting over 20 years--but it's a fun journey.

Draft saved Draft deleted