any idea what this 1909 VDB would grade???

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ikes4ever, Feb 5, 2011.

1. EyeEatWheaties

EyeEatWheaties Cent Hoarder

If I guess it right do I win the coin?

I want to image that coin! grrrrr.. I think I see a bit more pizzzzazzzzz on that obverse that your images aren't really showing.. . based on your pics I am staying at 65 although others have a good point about blotchyness - thats a " on a good day" kind of thing.

Here is one that is a mid-grade PCGS 65BN thats got some blotchyness to it

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. EyeEatWheaties

4. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

Well they have graded other coins MS67BN (and higher) but never a wheat cent. I believe there are a few memorial cents graded 67BN and even a few graded MS68BN. I know there is even a Chain Cent graded MS69BN!!! So there isn't a "rule" against giving out the high grades in BN. However, they rarely do so. Many collectors (and presumably some of the graders) feel that the numerical grade of a copper coin shouldn't ever exceed a certain point of the grading scale if it no longer has the original copper red color as it did when minted, even if the coin is otherwise well struck and mark free.

5. ikes4ever

ikes4ever Senior Member

I bought the coin for $10 about 5 years ago. I think the dealer might have felt bad for me or something. I was a real novice back then. I didnt even realize how nice it was to a few weeks ago when I was flipping through my Dansco.

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

The ANA standards specifically state that no copper coin can be graded above 66 unless the coin is original mint red.

7. iGradeMS70

iGradeMS70 AKA BustHalfBrian

PCGS 65BN. NGC would most likely grade it an 66BN because they usually bump it up a bit in that area of the grading spectrum.

8. EyeEatWheaties

iit's really close . this is a NGC VDB 66BN for comparison.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted