Any help with these USSR coin sets?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Dan McDevitt, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Dan McDevitt

Dan McDevitt New Member

So I have just received some several hundred coins from a distant relative and found a couple sets that intrigued me. I'm wondering if there is anything significant about them or if they are just another set which everyone has or no one wants.

Attached are photos of the 1980 set but I also have the '78 and '76 set.

Any information is welcome.

My apologies for the low quality photos.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

The 1976 set would be worth the most - I believe it's around the 100 dollar mark as the 50 kopek is a semi key date.

Check ebay sold listings and that would give you a rough idea of what you may be looking at.

4. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

Yeah, use advanced search on ebay for sold listings of "USSR coin set." I've sold some in soft packs for 100-300 dollars on there

5. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

300 dollars is far stretched for these years. It is only the earlier mint sets from 1964 - 1973 that are truly scarce, 1970 being the most expensive. That usually goes for 1200+ USD if one even appears in the market.

6. joecoincollect

No, I actually sold one for just under 300, a soft pack. I can't remember the date, I want to say 1970s or later

7. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

If it's a soft pack for 300 dollars, I'm certain it's 1973. That's the going market price for this set. Coins in soft pack ended in 1975 and then appeared once again in 1980. Hard plastic case appeared in 1974 and lasted till 1992.

8. joecoincollect

The first one I sold was 275 or something. Then I sold another and got half that I think, because a few of the coins had some staining or other kind of damage. There were four or five more of them when I bought the two, but I had no idea they were worth anything. They were two dollars each! I went back the next month but they were all gone. Sometimes you can find great things at antique/flea markets

Draft saved Draft deleted