Any help shopping around would be much appreciated

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by AdamB, Dec 6, 2019.

1. AdamB

AdamB Member

Just wanted to thank everyone for their great advice and quick responses on my first post.

If you didn't read it, essentially I bought a Ionian Drachm from a sketchy eBay seller. The coin is questionable and until I can see it in person, I'm going to assume that it's a fake. As it was meant to be a gift to my girlfriend, I'm in need of a backup.

Any help shopping around would be much appreciated. Whether that is recommending better sites/ more reputable eBay seller, suggesting coins, or sending me links to ones thatfit my description. It all helps a newbie like me.

I'm hoping to get something similar to the one I purchased - a Greek silver that has nice detail. My price point is about $60 USD. It doesn't have to be a Ephesus Drachm like the one I purchased but it might be nice to see some.

Hopefully the first one turns out to be real and I get to keep it for myself... But either way Christmas is approaching fast and I ought to get on this.

You've all been very welcoming and I really appreciate all the help. Thanks and happy holidays!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Yorkshire

Yorkshire Well-Known Member

Vcoins is a huge site with aload of dealers/shops which pretty much everyone uses.

mashops is another but mainly aimed at european dealers/sellers

and theres bidding sites like biddr.ch which list quite a few upcoming auctions and lets you bid on stuff through that

4. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

A Greek silver with nice detail will be hard to find at $60. Good luck.

5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

True, but it can be done.

AdamB likes this.
  6. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

AdamB likes this.
  7. AdamB

AdamB Member

Thank you, I'll look into those. I've been on vcoin once before but I think I was disappointed with the fact that some coins did not show the exact one that you're getting.

8. AdamB

AdamB Member

9. Bing

AdamB likes this.
  10. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

The majority of listings on Vcoins show the exact coin you'll be getting. I can't recall seeing many listings for ancients that aren't like that over the few years I've been watching Vcoins.

11. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

You might want to try getting a tetrobol of Histaia. They are nice looking coins (nymph, ship's prow), fairly common and can be had in nice condition in your price range. Try Googling that coin and see what comes up and try to stay with a person who deals only in ancient coins. Good luck and tell us how you did.

AdamB and LakeEffect like this.
  12. AdamB

AdamB Member

You're right, I'm thinking of apmex

13. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Ya I get that... believe me. But it certainly can be frustrating for new collectors.
    Here are the few that I know of .. some hang out here:

51matt
    cody111111
    frascatius
    josrobertso0
    victor_clark

AdamB likes this.
  14. AdamB

AdamB Member

Beautiful coin! I'll look at those for sure

15. AdamB

AdamB Member

Thanks so much for sharing!

16. Roerbakmix

Roerbakmix Well-Known Member

It’s not uncommon to ask for an opinion here before buying a coin (though if it’s being auctioned it’s probably unwise as it may attract unwanted attention).
    There are (at least) two databases for fake coins: one at the FORVM and one at forgerynetwork.
    Most here have had their fair share of fakes (“learning money”). In my case, often when the deal is too good to be true. However, there are certainly deals that seem too good to be true, but are real nonetheless. Living on the edge: also part of the fun :)

17. Bing

Three of the five you listed are on my list as well:
    Cody111111
    frascatius
    victor_clark

AdamB likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted