Any guesses on this date?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by FooFighter, Aug 4, 2019.

1. FooFighter

FooFighter Just a Knucklehead Coin Hunter

Hello y'all. I just acquired the Mercs and I'm pretty happy with them. I LOVE THE SOUND OF SILVER!!! LOL
    Anyway, I cant tell what this date is, due to the edge being worn in, and devouring the last digit.
    I bow to those that know more than I.
    Thanks,,,,, Foo 15649461091642685564046057950032.jpg 20190804_145453.jpg
    20190804_145519.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Reasonably certain it's a 1919.

4. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

Given the damage, it's a little hard to tell, but I would guess either 1918 or 1919, by process of elimination of loopy-topped numbers.

5. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

6. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

If you look, the second nine upper loop exactly matches the first nine. 8's are shaped differently. It is a 1919.

Stevearino likes this.
  7. Autoturf

Autoturf Well-Known Member

1919 matches

8. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Ditto!

Chris

10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I just looked at the photos and believe it to be a 1919. Then I scrolled down to answer and now I have no doubts, and neither should you.

11. FooFighter

Lol No doubt. I appreciate all your replies. These are the first Mercs I've owned.
    From slot of posts I've read, the 1916D might be a big.deal?
    Thanks
    Later,, Foo

12. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

yes the 1916 d mercury dime is a big deal considering its worth a bunch even in poor condition, the biggest thing you want on this coin is verification through a third party like ANACS or PCGS.

13. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

A not so funny story I can not verify nor do I ever want to verify is my great aunt lost her husband about 12 years ago or so her husband was a collector. My great aunt lived in northern Ohio most of her life and moved close to me about 8 years ago. She came across hard times and sold many coins to a pawn shop to quickly come up with money not knowing her great nephew was a coin collector until she sold most of her late husbands collection. She sold the coins but not the slips that he had for them and when she realized I collect coins "too late" she gives me some coins to sell so she can sustain herself. Sadly one of the slips read 1916 d mercury. I don't want her to ever know she had a possible BIG coin nor do I lol.

FooFighter likes this.
  14. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Hey Foo

I think this was recommended before, but you should look into getting a copy of A Guide Book of United States Coins (the redbook). It's a great resource for new collectors. If you had a copy, you could easily see that the 16D is the key. But you would also be able to quickly see which other dates are valuable. It will be the best $10-15 you'll spend on the hobby

FooFighter likes this.
  15. Collecting Nut

A 1916-D in AG-3 will cost about $300 so yes, it's a big deal.

16. FooFighter

Yes, these books are on my list. So far I have the PCGS rare coin market report. I might just go out and get the Red Book, or Get Rich with pocket change or any others I can get local here, if I can get around.
    Thanks for all the help guys.
    Foo

17. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Don't waste your money on the "get rich from pocket change" books. Big on hype, short on useful info. The only person getting rich is The author at you're expense. The Cherry Pickers guides by Fivaz and Stanton are far superior

18. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

You can usually get a year old copy of the Redbook for pennies on the dollar at overstock outlet type stores. The price guides aren't very useful but the resource information is invaluable and it never changes. I used my 1977 Redbook until I needed a large print version last year.

FooFighter likes this.
  19. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

well circulated 1920s Mercs are notorious for the dates wearing down in the lower part of the last digit - I have a dozen or so 192? dimes - they could be 1920, 1923, 1928 or 1929 - once their grade becomes AG and lower, the dates are difficult to read :rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  20. Collecting Nut

Getting rich on pocket change book was designed to make the author rich. Very little useful information. Don't waste your money on it but get the Red Book, it's invaluable to a collector.

FooFighter likes this.
  21. FooFighter

Gotcha. And noted

Collecting Nut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted