Any Guesses? Countermarked Greek AE

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by SeptimusT, Nov 10, 2019.

1. SeptimusT

SeptimusT Well-Known Member

Any guesses on what this type is? It is distinct enough that I feel like I should’ve found it, but no such luck. Unless it’s a very crude horse, I see a goat left, countermarked with a thunderbolt within oval incuse and a helmet or bull’s head. I found a helmet/thunderbolt combo on coins from Pontos, but those thunderbolts are in a rectangular incuse...

Oh, and before anyone asks why I didn’t post the obverse - that’s because it’s completely smooth.

C470D6A2-D052-47F5-AFAA-B3EC06FBE847.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Brian Bucklan

Brian Bucklan Well-Known Member

Not sure how large your coin is but it looks very similar to this 20mm type from Termessos Pisidia

Termessos Horse Comp.jpg

4. pprp

pprp Well-Known Member

Could be forepart of horse to the left. If you could report the weight it will be easier

5. SeptimusT

Silly me, forgetting to include weight and measurement! It is: 20mm, 3.69g. I'll certainly buy that the Pisidia coin could be it. Right size and weight, with a hint of inscription beneath the horse that I suspect could be TEP. Still don't see any countermarked examples, though, which would seal the deal completely.

Brian Bucklan likes this.
  6. Brian Bucklan

Brian Bucklan Well-Known Member

By the way, the upper countermark is actually a bucranium

7. SeptimusT

That was my first guess, then I saw the similar looking helmet countermarks on the Pontos coins and second guessed myself. Anyway, I'll keep looking and see if I can find some similar examples. I do see the thunderbolt shows up on some of these issues as a design element. Wish there was a good place to look for Greek countermarks.

8. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Very attractive countermarks - I did some poking around and couldn't find anything, however.

Draft saved Draft deleted