Any Good Sites For Finding The Value of Bills ?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by GoldFinger1969, Jan 6, 2022.

1. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

Any good sites with useful drop-arrows or the like to make finding valuations for bills easy ?

Besides Ebay and the online auction sites, I have the STANDARD GUIDE SMALL SIZE (Schwartz/Lindquist) and STANDARD CATALOG (Krausse Press) for approximations. But sometimes I can't find the bill and it's confusing with the "High" and "Low" range for Serial Numbers in the SMALL SIZE book (Krause has less detail for bills from 1920-1970).

Any suggestions ? I have HUNDREDS of bills to look at, and while I am sure the bulk are worth a few quarters over face value, I am sure others are worth $10-$25 and who knows, 1 or 2 or 3 might be worth a few hundred.

They are from my grandparents and mother so if I sell them I don't want a windfall to go to some sheister who thinks he is doing me a favor by giving me FV + 10% when it could be worth low-4 figures.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
    Gam3rBlake likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Gam3rBlake

Gam3rBlake Well-Known Member

I like to use Heritage Auctions "SOLD" listings.

It might take a while to find what you're looking for though so maybe just use that for the banknotes you think are worth at least $100.

GoldFinger1969 and SteveInTampa like this.
  4. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Divide it up into manageable, similar groups of notes and check recent SOLD results at Heritage, as mentioned above. Always observe the date sold, it’s important. Try to evaluate ten notes a day and in less than a month, you should be done.

midas1 and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  5. GoldFinger1969

Thanks, Gam...thanks Steve. :cigar:

Yeah, it seems bills/currency is much more time consuming to check prices than the coins I have because the variations and differences with micro backs and serial numbers and FRNs vs. USN's vs. SCs...etc....makes for tons of places to check.

Online auctions are the best, but I'm going to have to probably use the Freidberg # or something to make sure I get the right bill on my end matched up with an accurate sale online.

6. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

Get yourself a copy of “Bank Note Reporter”. It is a monthly publication that has interesting articles about paper money AND a paper money price guide. You can subscribe to it at www.numismaticnews.net.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  7. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

8. GoldFinger1969

It seems to me that most coin collectors are NOT currency/bill collectors, too (as I am). Would you guys agree ? Do any of you also dual collect ?

I guess when you figure that there are fewer bill/currency collectors than coin collectors...and you can have super-high production and survival numbers for bills....add in increased variety, SNs, microbacks, other differentiating factors....and they are more illiquid than coiins.....hence the lower prices for stuff even in good condition like my (ungraded) bills.

9. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

Some guy named Guido stopped by yesterday and told me that either pay the bills or get two broken legs. I guess the value of the bills are two good legs.

10. GoldFinger1969

Don't you mean Moose and Rocco ? :D

wxcoin likes this.
  11. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

Moose and Rocco used to work for me. All I ended up with was an ugly hat and a free bowl of soup.

12. Notaphylic_C

Notaphylic_C Well-Known Member

First: I think you're right, not as many currency collectors as coin collectors (probably 10-15% of the # of coin collectors). Plus a lot more dual (coin & currency) collectors than strictly currency collectors. A LOT of collectors who want to just source from change or circulation.

2nd: I have never used TRACK & PRICE but I have seen a few other members on other forums swear by it.

13. GoldFinger1969

I have a 1935A SC.....KB serial number in the 4's....can't tell what it's worth approximately with the mule and macro/micro thing from the books.

Anyone ?

Draft saved Draft deleted