Any experience with Alibaba Coins/VCoins seller?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by kalium_zer0, Sep 23, 2017.

1. kalium_zer0

kalium_zer0 New Member

Hi, this is my first post on this forum! I collect coins, but my collection has so far focused on currencies collected during my travels. I am now interested in expanding my collection to include ancient coins.

Like most newbies, I am more interested in interesting looking coins than in particular periods. And I am not yet ready to spend a lot of money until I learn how to spot fakes.

In my search, I've come across Alibaba Coins, a dealer who sells on VCoins. Has anyone had any experiences with this dealer?

I am interested in buying a coin like this:
    https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/al..._638_konya_30_gr__2142_mm/900211/Default.aspx

But have no way of telling if this is 'too good to be true' or not. Any advice/tips welcome!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Curtisimo and GerardV like this.
  4. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Welcome to CT kalium_zer0, I am looking forward to seeing your ancient coins as you acquire them.

5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

6. Mike Margolis

Mike Margolis Well-Known Member

Wow that coin could have been handled by Mevlana Jelladin Rumi or Shams y Tabrizi themselves. The timing is right and so is the place-Konya. the word "SHAMS" means sun. This is the place to double check coins like these. these regulars are experts. No doubt this is very genuine. I believe most fakes are the more famous and classic issues related to mainstream famous Greeks and Romans etc. Asaalam Aleikum!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  7. Mike Margolis

8. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

I've heard of vcoins before and I've never heard anything bad about them. With that said, I would change the Alibaba name. Only because of the below Alibaba who sells fake anything from China or as Trump on SNL would say, Ghina. laughhard.gif

https://www.alibaba.com/

9. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Id say OP's linked coin is genuine. However, this is the type of coin where condition is everything. No point owning one if it doesn't have good details on the sun's face. Not that I'd peddle mine. Feel free to get one from anyone else if it pleases you. They are great coins, but I'm getting out of medievals so I can focus more on my 3rd century Roman Imperial coins addiction. Not an easy decision to make as it is a pretty coin.

10. Mike Margolis

11. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

The lack of the face on the sun on the linked coin would be a deal-killer for me. If I didn't already have one of my own, I'd buy the one sallent is selling.

12. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

That must have been a really tough call to make. You have some great medieval pieces already in your collection.

13. kalium_zer0

kalium_zer0 New Member

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

14. kalium_zer0

kalium_zer0 New Member

Theodosius, dadams and Ajax like this.
  15. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

Very nice! I'm looking forward to seeing what you add in the future.

Draft saved Draft deleted