Any difference rolled coin Brinks vs. Fed?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by TomCorona, May 16, 2009.

1. TomCorona

TomCorona New Member

Hi all,
    Just wondering if either does or is able to sort them differently. I find that Brinks tend to have little silver in them, while coins from the Fed seem to have somewhat a higher percentage per roll. Aslo the same when looking for wheats. Anyone know if the sorting process is different between the two?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

I thought the fed didn't wrap rolls. The armored car comanies do.

4. TomCorona

TomCorona New Member

People at different banks tell me the ones they get from the Fed are the paper wrapped rolls (with holes in the box to verify rolls are actually present). Brinks uses clear plastic rolls, completely sealed boxes w/no holes.

5. Pocket Change

Pocket Change Coin Collector

Brinks or (whoever) wraps them. Not the Fed. Give me a break<g>

6. TomCorona

TomCorona New Member

Well, the bank where I get they holed boxes say they don't use Brinks, and that they come "straight from the Fed", but regardless of where they ultimately come from, I was trying to find out if anybody else noticed less older dates/silver percentage in Brinks rolls versus elsewhere, as I seem to have experienced. I thought maybe the two sources maybe use two different processes to possibly remove older dates (different kind of sorting process perhaps?), or whether there is any difference at all between the two.

7. Pocket Change

Pocket Change Coin Collector

I think the bank (and you) are using the word "Brinks" like the terms Kleenex, band-aids, etc.

Your bank is NOT getting coins directly from the FED!

All banks go through their suppliers - could be Brinks, could be some one else. But it's not the FED.

Normally, the question is Bank rolled versus customer rolled. And for that you can do a search and find dozens of threads.

8. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

Most boxes I get have holes and are paper wrapped and say brinks right on the box. I average about 10-12 wheats a box and 2 or 3 dimes every 10 boxes.

9. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

This is correct. Banks have contracts with various armored companies. At some level the money comes from the FED but the bank orders it from armored. For example, the bank I worked for contracted A/T Systems who later was bought out by Garda.

10. TomCorona

TomCorona New Member

Thanks all for the info. I understand what you're saying. So, I guess they all sort them the same way, regardless of whom they come from. I thought that if they came straight from the Fed (as they said), maybe they might have been screened a little less. When they (whomever) sorts them, do they pull/have a way of pulling coin, based on date,before it goes into rolls? I know the sorters seperate via size/weight. For example, I buy up all the rolls of halves I can find. Perhaps coincidence but, whatever comes from Brinks (at least based on what the box says), I find far less silver (maybe half a roll per $500 box, sometimes less or nothing). Whomever this other supplier is (non Brinks), I find considerably more silver. I know they are not customer rolled boxes because they are sealed. I'm just wanting to establish if Brinks "filters" their coins, so to speak, more so than other suppliers. Thanks again for the responses.

11. Brca1

Brca1 Junior Member

My credit union orders Halves in bags, they seem to come from several different locations as indicated on the label of the bag. I've gotten bags from at least three different "distribution centers" Only one usually contains about 2-4% silver coins often I also find random quarters, SBA, SAC, and Presidential dollars mixed in with the halves. Clearly these bags aren't looked at too closely.

12. bhp3rd

bhp3rd Die varieties, Gems

Most banks that say they get coins from the Fed have no idea

Most banks that say they get coins from the Fed have no idea where coins come from but they always come from a coin supplier like Brinks.

13. grizz

grizz numismatist

........i don't think it matters where they come from, it's the luck of the draw. all the coins are put in to rolls and bags by machine, i seriously doubt if any screening goes on at all at any of these places.

14. jerrygg

jerrygg New Member

It's an old thread, but those insisting that the Fed doesn't source coin for banks are WRONG! I find that people who don't know what they're talking about should not bother to comment at all. Or else these people appear as though they have egg on their faces.

The Fed will frequently source newly minted and wrapped coins directly to banks (Uncirculated). These sets come directly from the FED.

How else did the know-it-alls think minted coin enters circulation?

15. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I could use one of those machines.

Draft saved Draft deleted