Any comments on this purchase?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Geod, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Geod

Geod Member

Got these (plus 10 wheat cents) for $33.29 Plus 4.99 shipping.

Do you think this was a bad, good or average deal?

I'm pretty happy with it. What do you think?

Thanks

Geod

20190409_164809.jpg 20190409_164854.jpg 20190409_164941 (1).jpg 20190409_165000 (1).jpg

Devyn5150 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

Honestly, unless I'm missing something, that is overpriced.

longshot and furryfrog02 like this.
  4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

+1

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

If they are for your collections, it's certainly worth what you were willing to pay for them.

Chris

LA_Geezer and Penna_Boy like this.
  6. FooFighter

FooFighter Just a Knucklehead Coin Hunter

Really?!?! I'd have to say it was a pretty good deal. Maybe not an excellent deal, but there are quite a few coins there, the proofs, that will do nothing but a increase exponentially.
    Nice job. Where did you aquire these pieces? I mean was it online or a LCS. Was just wondering, because I have a rotten LCS story I need to enter in another section.

LA_Geezer and Penna_Boy like this.
  7. Penna_Boy

Penna_Boy Just a nobody from the past

33 bucks - why not? I would- a couple proofs maybe some MS. Not great but okay.

8. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

Not bad in that you are just barely above the cost of lunch for two. So how can you go wrong doing something you enjoy!

One might mention that you’re already in range of some serious numismatics. I’ve been able to get some uncirculated early Lincolns and later Buffalo nickels in the same price range. Less quantity but long-lasting appreciation.

On a good day you might find something like this that I got for $20. Happy hunting!

05c 1913 T1 full 01.gif

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    LA_Geezer and Devyn5150 like this.
  9. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I don’t see anything wrong with it. The true value is in how they fit into your collection and collecting goals.

JPeace$ likes this.
  10. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

That's actually sort of the opposite of what proofs do. Unless they're silver and the price of silver skyrockets, most proofs sell for less than their original issue price, at least for several decades after they're released. Some, like the 1970-S half or the 1999 silver quarters, spike initially and then lose value for years.

The proofs in the OP's photo have probably achieved a stable value at this point.

CoinCorgi likes this.
  11. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Any item is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. You paid $38.28. That's exactly what it was worth to you. Someone else might pay more, or less. That's of no consequence unless you're looking to sell.

Don't second guess yourself. Enjoy your purchase and move on. Besides, if you feel now that you overpaid, it couldn't possibly be by much.

Silver Eagle likes this.
  12. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

You paid approximately $1.60 per coin. Take that as you will.

alurid likes this.
  13. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

11.1 x face value.

14. Robert91791

Robert91791 Well-Known Member

furryfrog02 likes this.
  15. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

I agree with overpriced, though for that amount the risk was very low. The coins are all common dates and the older ones are not in very good shape. Still, not a huge risk, but I think the seller made some money on this one, which is what sellers like to do.

When I started I bought a lot of coins that looked pretty good to me at the time. As I started to know more and more about the hobby, I gradually realized how much I had overpaid for those coins and the joy they once gave me waned. I now try not to look at them and I can't sell them for anything near what I paid. Don't get duped by emotion into overpaying for anything. The joy will not last.

Just a word of warning as you venture out into the coin buying wild, from someone who learned the hard way.

FooFighter and furryfrog02 like this.
  16. Zeppo Shanski

Zeppo Shanski Active Member

We're talking the price of a decent XL-pizza and a 6-pack of pop. How the how can any judgement be made if the purchaser bought what he wanted. Save yourself the abuse of asking people about how much you spent. Be happy with your purchase and enjoy the hobby.

FooFighter and Santinidollar like this.
  17. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

The original poster asked a very wise and smart question and it deserves a variety of honest answers. Of course making such a purchase once is no big deal, but repeating it over and over again, especially if more money is involved, is no way to enjoy a hobby and it will eventually lead to the very opposite of joy. I wasted money while pursuing this hobby and I now regret it. Asking the question about it being a good buy shows that the op wants to get better and more savvy at buying. It’s a very smart thing to do. If I asked the question I would be looking for more than “if you’re happy then it’s fine.” Of course I didn’t ask the question, but I’m answering it the way I would want it answered. No abuse has occurred.

longshot likes this.
  18. R_rabbit

R_rabbit Well-Known Member

Hi:)
    To me it’s a great deal! Why? I live in Canada and for me to go and purchase those coins. It might cost me a hundred locally.
    I have enjoyed every coin I purchased or collected.

19. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Contrast this, though, with the many CoinTalk posts that say "pay up for a great coin, the pain of overpaying fades quickly, but the joy of having the great coin remains". And the corollary, "don't buy bargains, you'll forget how much you paid and be stuck with a second-class coin". As a dyed-in-the-wool bargain-hunter, I don't agree completely with that point of view, but I do acknowledge it.

20. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

Sure, there will always be exceptions. Rules and aphorisms are rarely absolute.

But it also depends on the buyer's experience. People starting out should probably be more cautious because they likely don't know what they're buying. I think the quotes you referenced apply to more experienced buyers, but again there are a lot of variables.

21. Geod

Geod Member

I thank everyone for comments and honest opinions. The condition of the first group of coins seems pretty nice to me. Still don't know if I overpaid, but I'm happy enough with the purchase.

Thanks again everyone

Geod

masterswimmer and furryfrog02 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted