Any collectors of Imperial Russian Coins here??

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Rhino89, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

Here is the modern Russian 10-roubles coin with 2 sables on obverse.

Attached Files:

• 21.jpg
      21.jpg
      File size:
      84.3 KB
      Views:
    • 22.jpg
      22.jpg
      File size:
      84.9 KB
      Views:
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. irina59

irina59 New Member

oho-ho,I just absolutely loved this.
    First of all, you can't change the history, it is what it is.
    The map of Asia dated by 1754 and nobody can change this fact, what we could think about this is another story, but in same time it does not matter.
    I got to go now, but if you would like to continue this discussion I will be glad to do it.
    BWY anybody else on forum more than welcome

4. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

I'm not a collector of imperial Russian coins... yet. But I bet I will be at some point.

Any recommendation of a good book to read ? I'm thinking about the early Romanov dynasty, from Mikhail through Peter the Great.

5. Siberian Man

It's an old map. We all know that old maps was not so neat as a modern maps. So the author of that map mistaked with a borders of geographical areas.

6. Siberian Man

Lets try in Wikipedia, sir. I don't know a good books about early Romanovs on English.

7. irina59

irina59 New Member

well, if you think to collect Russian coins, think again :hail:
    they are pretty much expansive, so you need to be realistic , which period of time you
    actually can afforded .
    for example- Peter II,king of Russia 1727-1730.
    like you see, it was just 3 years for his power, and it's not so many coins were made.
    Believe me, they are around $3-5-6......000.
    another words it's easy to run like a collection ( not so many diff), but they are exp.

Peter III 1761-1762, check the price for yourself.:devil:

Whatever you desire to collect, you need make sure about quality , least XF.
    GOOD LUCK

8. zantetsuken

zantetsuken Junior Member

You're not kidding about price. I surf Ebay alot, and some of the prices are staggering with certain Russian coins. I bought a quite a few of mine before the prices exploded. Also, one needs to be careful of fakes that commonly appear. Some are very deceptive.

9. irina59

irina59 New Member

one thing I can say to you about Russian coins, fortunately here in USA, chance to get fake little bit less,than in Europe.( may be we are to far), however if you ready to buy, do your homework before, check the reference for coin by catalog for Russian coins, best
    for me is Bitkin- it's 2 languages rus + english. which is important, Uzdennikov good choice, or Monnaies de L'Empire de Russie 1725-1894
    (ISBN: 0880000155 / 0-88000-015-5 )
    Michailovitch, Grand-Duc Georges
    I just made the order for myself, very need book even on france lang.( not my cup of tea) but full of images, and written by collector more than 100 years ago, this ia reprint from boston.
    bitkin you can download free from internet, i have a books (2) and in my kendel

10. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

You don't need a XF quality coin to make a collection impressive. If you can find these coins in a better condition in a "reasonable" price, please do show.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At the same time, you don't have to be disappointed over ebay prices. Certain coin prices are actually FALLING despite contary belief - a lot of them were overinflated in the last 2-3 years and it seems to be normal. Of course, scarce and rarer coins will not be cheaper but you just have to look REALLY hard.

11. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

12. zantetsuken

Thanks for the info 'irina59', I have one catalog that's helped me on numerous occasions. I also collect Russian and related notes and have aquired a large selection over the years. Here are a few of them.

[​IMG]

RUSSIAN EMPIRE~3 Ruble 1880

[​IMG]

ARKHANGELSK (SOVIET-MUNICIPAL)~25 Ruble 1918

[​IMG]

ARMENIA (1st REPUBLIC)~100 Ruble 1919

[​IMG]

BUKHARA SOVIET PEOPLES REPUBLIC~3,000 Tenge 1338 AH/1920 AD

[​IMG]

VLADIKAVKAZ (RAILROAD)~50 Ruble 1918

[​IMG]

U.S.S.R.~10,000 Ruble 1923 (1924)

13. Siberian Man

14. irina59

irina59 New Member

good morning to everybody, nice to see, the collectors of Russian coins started to move little bit :)
    for Ripley - I'm not sure, you probably know, but
    you have this Soviet Union 1952 2 kop, which is nice variety, on obv star is flat, 15 ribbon ( 8 on left side and 7 on right ),
    another thing - pennia Finland, belong to Russia. ( Finland was under power of Russia till 1917) :yes:

15. irina59

irina59 New Member

for gxseries:
    everybody has his own opinion, and we are all adults here (I think):D
    for me- I try to get coins in best condition, that I can afforded, even if coin I like, but is in VF, I prefer to pass, chemical reaction and time does not nice thing to coin( corrosion, porous etc) eventually, after few years you look at this coin and think, what a heck this coin is., but , like I said, it's me.:)
    about your coins, first 2 you definitely may find in much better condition, may be it does not happens over night, but it is not the problem.
    10 kop 1762, I like this coin, always did like the thrums, I had one and sold 1 year ago for $1000 , it's will be not easy to replace this one, but if you got extra couple $1000, it's possible, and last one, well this is really unique, beauty, I never sow this kind of
    over struck.would you please make better photo, that we could to increase little bit.
    if it's not fake, I can't even think about price.:devil:
    Moscow mint, 2 kop and 2 para for Moldovia. great combination. congrats with this coin, very very nice Please photo in studio.

16. zantetsuken

Nice coins 'gxseries'. The 10 Kopek from 1772 is especially interesting. This is only genuine specimen I've seen so far. All the rest have been fakes (some dare call them 'Novodels') that I've spotted now and again on Ebay. Thanks for sharing.

17. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Hi Irina, I looked at the 2 Kop and counted 7 oak leaves on each side. I guess varieties exist, according to Krause. Fun to share with you folks.

18. irina59

irina59 New Member

ripley, put your glasses on, photo # 109, on obv. ( where SSSR) ON LEFT side 8 ribbons
    and opposite side is 7 ribbons. Krause is not good for this coins , you need Fedorin, you
    can find in internet, but here
    http://www.woc-news.ru/gallery/category/10-kopeek/

19. irina59

irina59 New Member

HI ripley, i just read my post, sorry, some reason my smile icons did not work,
    just check coin again, and you will see.

20. irina59

irina59 New Member

so back to our discussion about Sibyria.:welcome:
    in WWI, Germany made special issue money for occupied Russia.
    XIX - RUSSIA made special issue money for occupied Georgia, Finland,Poland.
    1771-1774 ruler Ekatherina II, in during war Russia-Turkey Russia made special issue money for occupied , cut of from Turkey, Moldavia and Valahia
    1787 for Tavricheskoy Hubernyi.
    it was well known experience of making this kind of money for use .
    but back to history , what happened to Sibyria?
    I'm sure you remember, Christopher Columbus discover of America in 1492.
    I'm not sure, that you know about war between royalty family Romanov and "Pugachev" and splitting rest of Rusy-Orda between Russia and America? :yes:

21. moneyer12

moneyer12 i just love UK coins.......

i have quite a few imperial russian coins but it is only the tip of the iceberg, there are so many in the collection that to have them all would be nigh impossible!

Draft saved Draft deleted