Any collectors of Imperial Russian Coins here??

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Rhino89, Oct 13, 2010.

1. james m. wolfe

james m. wolfe New Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Whats not to like. Hiya Wolfie !!!!
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. zantetsuken

zantetsuken Junior Member

Here's a recent aquisition. This is 1,000 Ruble from the KHWAREZM SOVIET PEOPLES REPUBLIC, 1338 AH/1920 AD. Printed on light blue silk fabric, these were among the earliest Soviet issued notes for the region.
    [​IMG]

KHWAREZM SOVIET PEOPLES REPUBLIC~1,000 Ruble (Silk) 1338 AH/1920 AD

5. princeofwaldo

princeofwaldo Grateful To Be eX-I/T!

Any idea what the dimensions of the painting are? Any chance it hangs in the Russian Museum in St.P? Looks vaguely familiar but I can't place it.

6. f0rte

f0rte Barber of Seville

DSC00635.JPG DSC00634.JPG
    An 1872 Russian Rouble, one of the most prized coins in my collection.

7. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

Y8.2 1876 Russia 0.5 kopek.jpg Y8.2 1876 Russia 0.5 kopekII.jpg

A scarce little one.

8. silvereagle82

silvereagle82 World Gold Collector

Here's one for you ... a real treasure of mine !!

Type: Ducat Date: 1849
    Certification: NGC #1915585-012 Grade: PF 64 Cameo
    Coin Information:
    Design: OBVERSE: Legend around inner circle with standing knight in full armor holding a sword and a sheaf of arrows. The arrows signify the unity of the northern provinces, which banded together and signed the union of Utrecht in 1579, which was there declaration of independence from Spain. Legend – “CONCORDIA RES PARVAE CRES****” translates “Union Makes Small Things Grow” ~ REVERSE: Legend or motto on tablet. “MONETA ORDINUM PROVINCIARUM FOEDERATARUM BELGII AD LEGEM IMPERII” translates “Coin of the Provinces of the United Netherlands According to the Law of The Empire”
    Mint: St. Petersburg
    Mintage: Unknown
    References: KM #83.1 (Netherlands) / Fr. 161
    Specifications: Diameter – 21.0 mm
    Weight – 3.5100 g. @ 0.9860 Gold = .1113 oz AGW
    Acquired: January 2010
    Providence: None
    Notes:
    ➢ "1849" dated ducats were struck at St. Petersburg mint from 1849-1868. 4,350,190 per St. Petersburg mint records. Seems like a lot yet you do not see a lot of these on the market!! A common coin in its day, remember that the ducat was the best known gold trade coin in its day and the Russian Armies and Imperial family traveled extensively through all of Europe and central Asia; therefore it was commonly melted to produce other gold coins, jewelry, etc. of the other countries??
    ➢ As to whether or not this is a real proof strike coin vs. a proof-like commercial strike coin ... I posed the question to Mr. Rick Ponterio (Formerly owner of Ponterio & Associates & now with Bowers and Merena Auctions and a noted world coin expert) himself, asking him to review the coin in-hand and give me his opinion .... his email answer "In my opinion, this coin is a proof, and not a prooflike business strike. NGC has properly designated it as a proof."
    ➢ Now for a proof 1849 St. Petersburg ducat. Do they exist? .... Obviously based on this specimen they do, but they have to be rare ... Could it have been a special proof presentation coin for the State Treasury or purse of the Russian Imperial family of Nicholas I or Alexander III ???
    ➢ In all my extensive reference materials (both book and internet) I can find no record of any "proof" ducat pre 1900 (Dutch or Russian). This is a very rare and exceptionally choice coin.

465478ol.jpg 465478rl.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted