Any collectors of Imperial Russian Coins here??

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Rhino89, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Rhino89

Rhino89 "Roubles"

Hey, just wanted to see if there are any collectors of imperial Russian coins from 1700-1917. If you do, post a comment! What do you collect? What's your favorite coin in your collection? Most recent acquisition? Photos always welcomed.

Just trying to get an idea of who is here and maybe get a group of us to keep this thread specifically for all things related to Russian coins of that era :eat:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

Hallo, sir.
    I am a russian coins - collector. And I have a rather big collection of a tsarist coins. A several times ago I shared a part of them in a special thread.

4. Siberian Man

This is a couple of my favorite Russian coins: polushka (1/4 kopek) 1749 & denga (1/2 kopek) 1748.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      29.9 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      32 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      41.6 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      40.5 KB
      Views:
  5. Rhino89

Rhino89 "Roubles"

Siberia Man, always good to see you around :thumb: I've seen our collecting interests overlap in the past. Nice dengi and polushki there... you prefer coins from the earlier Russian empire? I still have no denga or polushka pieces yet.

My favorites are more from the later periods, like Nicholas II:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Left to Right: 1913 1 Rouble, 1896 Rouble, 1913 50 Kopeks.

6. Rhino89

Rhino89 "Roubles"

:bigeyes:By the way I think we may be the only ones who collect Russian coins here

7. Siberian Man

I suppose so...:rollling:

8. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

Well, look at my avatar...

9. Rhino89

Rhino89 "Roubles"

:hail: nice 1913 Rouble. Feel free to share photos/scans/recent purchases, etc...

10. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

I've got some others....will look to post some pics this weekend of them. I actually inherited them, as well as several paper money notes from that time as well, and don't know too much about them. I have a good little amount of silver coins from the 19 teens...Kopecs I think. I'll have to look and post and maybe you can tell me more about them. But I really like the coin in my avatar....it is a nice piece.

11. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

There are a few Russian Imperial collectors around here. I don't know how many people here focus on it as their main pursuit when it comes to world coins, but they are pretty popular.
    Here are some of my favorites... I have a few more, including some bronzes, but none in very high grades... but I especially like my 1898 Rouble.
    The 1913 Rouble posted is very nice. As is your avatar bobbeth.

Attached Files:

12. Rhino89

Rhino89 "Roubles"

You can post photos of your banknotes if you want, or PM me. I collect Russian notes from 1898-1991 so I may be able to tell you more about them.

13. Taxidermist

Taxidermist Collector of US/IL/RU/DE

Nah, you`re not the only ones, i`m sure. Although i am into 1917-1991 era, i collect coins and notes from the empire period as well, but nothing fancy.

4.jpg

3.jpg

14. Rhino89

Rhino89 "Roubles"

I feel like the 1898 Rouble is hard to find in high grades without having to pay some high premiums. I recently bought a 1900 1 Rouble in a VF that's on the way to me, I'll post photos when I get it.

Nice early coinage, 1600s pieces... also on my wish list. I noticed that although the coins are popular in auction, I don't see many threads about the imperial coins here (and barely anything about Soviet coinage, either). Thought it might be nice to see who's here and share, since it's not like anyone will post a "Post your favorite Russian coin!" thread anytime soon.

15. Rhino89

Rhino89 "Roubles"

Post a photo of the front of that 5 Rouble note - depending on the signatures on it and the serial number on it, it could have been issued by 3 different governments: either the Czar while he was still in power, OR the provisional government in 1917, OR the new Soviet government before it revised its monetary system in 1918 :) It's one of those banknotes that has a lot of history behind it that a lot of people overlook.

16. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

That is interesting stuff, the things people can learn through collecting coins and banknotes...

17. CheetahCats

CheetahCats Colonial & Early American

Imperial Russian Colonies in America

Coincidence that this topic is active in CoinTalk! I am in the midst of doing a research topic on Imperial Russian Colonies in America - and their coinage - and have been corresponding with several researchers who have led archaeological digs in California and Alaska pursuant to such Russian settlements.

The Russian colonization of North Americas began in 1732 and lasted until 1867. It began when the Imperial Russian Empire laid claim to northern West Coast territories. Like the western Europeans, the Russians also sponsored expeditions in search of natural resources, as well as lay claim to land for Russia and her trading activities. In pursuit of these efforts, the Russians established support settlements and defensive outposts all along northwest lands that bordered the Pacific Ocean.

Near Bodega Bay in Northern California is one such outpost: Fort Ross. The Russians maintained it until 1841, when they abandoned the region.

For the Russians, their colonial aspirations and activities were largely unprofitable. Russia offered sale of their Alaskan territory to the United States in 1857. After delays due to the Civil War, the U.S. finally purchased the territory in October of 1867. It was this financial transaction which finally ended Russia's presence in North America altogether.

Attached please find 5 Kopek specimen from my cabinet that was minted at Russia's Kolyvan mint (KM). This specimen is an example of the 5 Kopek Siberian Issue variety that has been unearthed at Fort Ross in Northern California. Due to the primitive nature of the refining processes employed at the Kolyvan mint during that era, copper coinage originating from this mint had traces of gold and silver, and thus were of a more diminutive size than the equivalents minted at Ekaterinburg.

I most especially like that the specimen has enjoyed very little wear over its long life, and has retained smoothness and nice planchet coloring.

Kind regards,

- CheetahCats

1770-5-Kopek-KM-Combined.jpg

Ruslatin likes this.
  18. Taxidermist

Taxidermist Collector of US/IL/RU/DE

Yeah, and a lot of people. I guess this was a desired job, or maybe they got "fired" quickly (and whoever is familiar with that period, will know that the word "fired" got 2 meanings :D ).

Here is what i got, Shipov-Rodionov:

3.jpg

I wonder how rare this combo is...

And here is a reference of all the guys who ever signed notes:

1.jpg
    2.jpg
    33.jpg
    44.jpg

Not my list, and it was NOT easy to find it, but its out there on the internets.

19. Rhino89

Rhino89 "Roubles"

Thanks for sharing! I never knew that piece of Russian history. I've read about the time period, but concentrated on mainland Russia and didn't realize the Russians arrived in N. America so early and left so late. Your coin is very well preserved, too. I have a 1771 5 Kopeck copper coin from the mainland, similar style but different themes even though it was only minted 1 year after yours. I'll post photos another day.

20. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

Beautiful coin! Very interesting find.

21. Rhino89

Rhino89 "Roubles"

Most collectors collect based on the secretary signature, not so much the second one, so I'm not sure about the rarity of Rodionov. BUT, Shipov is a common one. The interesting thing about your note is that it has what's considered a "long" serial (meaning more than 3 digits) which means that your note was printed between 1912 and 1917 while the Czar was still in power. The date on the note says 1909, but the date on Russian imperial notes was never changed from the original year the note's design was first introduced.

You'll see identical notes around that have a short serial of only 3 digits with a Shipov signature - those were actually issued after the Czar lost power. Those notes were either printed by the Soviets or the Provisional Government (the difference is in the 3-digit serial number).

Finding lists and information about notes is definitely difficult, especially resources in English. That's why I'm actually in the process of working on an English-language site specifically for Russian banknotes: russian-money.blogspot.com

Every note has a signature and serial that tell a story about when it was printed and by who - it gets very interesting once you see what they all mean. And once the currency starts changing rapidly in the late 1910s and 1920s, you literally see the regime changes on the paper in front of you.

Haha good point, taxidermist, I would NOT have wanted to have Shipov's job... who knows what his fate was.

Draft saved Draft deleted