Any collector has a favorite patina color?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ancient times, Mar 5, 2023.

1. ancient times

ancient times Legatus Legionis

I like most all colored patinas, but preferably I like brown to dark brown to black. I think the detail is much better on these colors, show your favorites,
    Galeria Valeria AE Follis 26 mm. 308-310 AD. GAL VAL-ERIA AVG, diademed draped bust right / VENERI VICTRICI, Venus standing facing with apple and raising drapery over shoulder, K in left field, Γ over P in right field, mintmark ALE. RIC VI Alexandria 110
    g1.jpg g2.jpg
    the coin is actually dark brown, no matter how I took the picture it showed darken then what it is

Carl Wilmont, Curtis, tibor and 6 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

I have an Antoninus Pius that is almost black in hand
    Antoninus Pius, AE As.jpg

4. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..i like black, brown green and in between....but my fav is iridescent IMG_0563.JPG IMG_0564.JPG :D

5. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I really like the look of a chocolate brown, to black.
    upload_2023-3-5_8-35-22.jpeg
    upload_2023-3-5_8-35-47.jpeg

6. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

7. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

I love dark coins, or 'desert' patination. However, I've seen plenty of desert patinas that appear to be applied afterward to 'improve' the appeal of a rather ugly coin. One seller on Vcoins does it frequently.

The original post is the coin I prefer most out of all the above. Thanks for sharing.

ancient times likes this.
  8. LukeGob

LukeGob Well-Known Member

I can't find a good example that comes out right when I take a picture of it, but my favorite (prob in the minority here) is when you get a nice deep forest-green with multicolored incrustations blooming little dots in the fields; blues, reds, turquoise & other greens. When it's not just coating & destroying the coin, just blooms of color here & there, that's my fav. Usually comes cheap, too, so...

ancient times likes this.
  9. The Meat man

The Meat man Supporter! Supporter

I love a good patina - For AE, green or blue is really nice, also anything from warm light-brown to almost black. Glossy is better. Golden is nice. For silver, iridescent is okay, but nothing beats "old cabinet" toning IMO.
    I generally don't like an earthen or "desert" patina mostly because while it may highlight some elements of a design it inevitably obscures some too. Also, I've seen at least one case where an artificially applied "desert" patina was used to hide tooling.

ancient times and sand like this.
  10. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

I like coins where the silvering has toned to a golden color

30a32a.3.jpg

Carthage_40a.jpg

11. -monolith-

-monolith- Supporter! Supporter

My preference is "ORGINAL". Don't really care about color, it's the "character" of the coin and making sure it hasn't been artificially painted or patina.

12. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

nobody posted blue...

Constantine_Trier_105~0.jpg

Constantine I
    A.D. 316
    20x21mm 3.3g
    CONSTANTINVS P F AVG; laureate and cuirassed bust right.
    SOLI INVIC-TO COMITI, Sol rad., raising r. hand, globe in l.; stg. l., chlamys across l. shoulder, across fields T-F
    In ex. BTR
    RIC VII Trier 105

ex-Kellogg

Dr. John Harvey Kellogg (1852-1943) was the founder of the Battle Creek Sanitarium and inventor of the Corn Flake.

Diocletian_Cyzicus_12a.jpg

Diocletian
    A.D. 295-6
    28mm 7.8g
    IMP C C VAL DIOCLETIANVS P F AVG; laureate head right
    GENIO POPVLI ROMANI; Genius standing left, naked but for chlamys over left shoulder & modius on head, with patera from which liquor flows
    In ex. KS
    RIC VI Cyzicus 12a

13. Curtis

Curtis Well-Known Member

I'll go with the easy answer... Green:

Byzantine Follis Five Folles I like RED.jpg

1 Final Green Coins CNG EA548.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted