Any clues or does this belong in ancients

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mainebill, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

6C7ADD78-49A4-4285-A267-C44B05269840.jpeg FDC91BA4-C816-411D-A0F7-F9CB3C46FD0F.jpeg A buddy of mine sent a pic of this to me seeking information. My thoughts were mideval period maybe but I have absolutely no clue anyone know anything?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mrbreeze

mrbreeze Well-Known Member

Looks like a fake Byzantine coin. I’m a long way from being an expert.

Have your thread moved to the ancients.

4. Mainebill

Thanks

5. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

Looks like a bronze follis of the Byzantine ruler Michael II (820-829 AD) in association with Theophilas. (Ref: Sear Byzantine Coins 1642). But the Ancients section may know more.

Mainebill and lordmarcovan like this.
  6. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Definitely Byzantine, and therefore it does belong in the Ancients category.

It doesn't necessarily look fake to me- it looks OK, as far as I'm concerned.

But I'll be the first to admit that I'm not really up to speed on these, and will defer to those with more knowledge about them.

Mainebill likes this.
  7. Mainebill

Ok I’ll try posting it over there. Thanks. I’m strictly a US guy. This belongs to an antique dealer friend that I’ve bought a couple decent coins off

8. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

I see no reason to believe it's fake. The surface and strike seem genuine, and I wouldn't see the point of counterfeiting a common bronze follis. Also, Parthicus' attribution is correct.

Mainebill likes this.
  9. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

It's a very nice example.

Mainebill likes this.
  10. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Done. I mean, moved. ;)

11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

https://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=137300

See above. This is a better specimen and was sold by a top dealer so your friend will not get more than a fraction of the quoted price. As on modern coins, condition is everything and with ancients there are many more factors to consider than wear.

Mainebill likes this.
  12. Mainebill

Thanks for the help. Ancients aren’t my specialty us coins are why I posted here

13. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

If only this were true. There are several cases where transfer dies have been created from genuine, common ancients and then these are used to create coins that are then treated and dirtied up to sell into the market as uncleaned coin. These have happened either in batches as "hoards" or salted into other uncleaned batched to bulk them out.

These were being distributed as uncleaned at $14.99 each:-

[​IMG]

These were being sold in batches of 1,000 at Eur 5 each:-

[​IMG]

I put the following together to illustrate some if the odd coins that have been created via this method. All were being sold as part-cleaned ancients.

[​IMG]

Martin

Draft saved Draft deleted