Any Chronogram collectors in our group?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by John KENT, Feb 17, 2020.

1. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Not yet. I was looking at one a while ago, though. The Nürnberg 8 ducat would fit, if not for the price tag.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I once had this... umm... whatever it was.

It was some kind of Zvingli medal. Looked 18th century to me. Another of these Reformation-themed pieces, I would presume.

There were traces of bright luster in the protected areas around the portrait and lettering (which naturally did not show in my scans).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maybe pewter, but maybe it was tin, now that I think about it.

So, the chronogram...

Let's see... there's M...I... VLD...ICV... VI...LI.

Under the portrait, there seems to be: "ÆT 48 AN 1531", so I suppose that means Zvingli was 48 years old in 1531?

I sold this piece on eBay later. A person in Germany won it. Then I couldn't find it and had to issue a refund. He was not happy and left me a harshly worded neutral in German. Years later, it has still never turned back up. I wonder if some day I will open a box or drawer and find it.

Chronograms make my head hurt. That's probably why I lost this piece.

Yeah, that's my excuse. It had nothing to do with desk clutter.

talerman, svessien, panzerman and 2 others like this.
  4. Hus.thaler

Hus.thaler Well-Known Member

Interesting piece. What you have (had) there sure looks like a trial or old copy of a 1719 Zwingli piece from Zurich (celebrating the 200th anniversary of the Protestant Refromation in Zurich). Zwingli was killed during a battle in 1531.

The medal with that obverse had 2 different reverses, one with a portrait of Heinrich Bullinger (another Swiss reformer) and one with various lines of text. I've never seen a uniface version before.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  5. Hus.thaler

So I am not really a chronogram collecter, per se, but I do collect Reformation pieces, and as wcg noted, there are a bunch of those with chronogram dates. Here is a sampling:

Nurnberg, 1650 Peace of Westphalia, ending 30 Years' War (chronogram obverse, numerical date reverse)
    20200221_224049.jpg 20200221_224100.jpg
    Schwabish-Hall 2 Ducat, 1717 200th Anniversary of the Protestant Reformation (Chronogram on obverse and reverse AND numerical date on reverse--kinda overkill):
    20200221_224111.jpg 20200221_224129.jpg

Augsburg 1730, 200th Anniversary of the Augsburg Confession (Chronograms on obverse and reverse):
    20200221_224615.jpg 20200221_224626.jpg

Wittenberg 1717, Luther and wife, Catherine von Bora (chronograms obverse and reverse):
    20200221_224713.jpg 20200221_224728.jpg

6. Hus.thaler

And, just for Lord M., here are the 2 Zwingli medals from 1719 with chronogram dates on the obverse:

20200221_224800.jpg 20200221_224806.jpg 20200221_224814.jpg 20200221_224823.jpg

panzerman, talerman, wcg and 2 others like this.
  7. lordmarcovan

8. John KENT

John KENT Member

I’ve been searching for 20th century chronogrammes and found this in Belgium.

Attached Files:

panzerman, talerman and Seattlite86 like this.
  9. John KENT

John KENT Member

my daughter says it looks like a lady golfer swinging at a priest in prayer. Odd!

svessien likes this.
  10. lordmarcovan

It TOTALLY does! Those were my exact thoughts.

Interesting. I hadn't seen any modern chronograms.

11. John KENT

John KENT Member

I know there are chronogram coins in other languages too, Arabic and Hebrew. I don't have any examples yet, but they're on my list!

12. Hus.thaler

Here is my modern chronogram medal; it was minted in 2011, but has the chronogram date of 2017 on the obverse to celebrate the 500th anniversary of the Protestant Reformation (jointly designed by Daniel Harmelink, collector of Reformation numismatic material who clearly knew the history of chronogram-dated material in this genre, and Victor Huster [noted for his distinctively stylized medallic art])
    2020-03-21.jpg 2020-03-21.01.jpg

panzerman and John KENT like this.
  13. John KENT

John KENT Member

I looked on eBay and found a similar medal selling for $170. 16 ounces!

Attached Files:

Pickin and Grinin and panzerman like this.
  14. Hus.thaler

Yep, that is a big version. My particular sample is only ~40mm or so.

15. talerman

talerman Well-Known Member

TOURNAI Siege 8 Sols 1708 (when a French garrison was being besieged by Allied troops during the War of the Spanish Succession)

Reverse: MONETA /IN/OBSIDIONE (besieged)/TORNACENSI/CVSA (minted in siege of Tournai) The order is a jumble but M+D+C+C+V+I+I+I = 1708

Tournai Siege 8 sols 1709 obv 571.jpg Tournai Siege 8 sols 1709 rev 574.jpg

16. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Never followed up, but I finally bought myself one a year or two ago. Thanks for the inspiration!
    IMG_1748.jpeg

17. Tall Paul

Tall Paul Supporter! Supporter

Another way to write 1716 in Roman numerals is: MDCCXVI.

18. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

2 that i picked up last year :D
    asg_2022_34mm_Ag.jpg s-l1600.png

panzerman likes this.
  19. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I have this AV Dukat from Regensburg dated 1742 chronogram 00058g00 (1) (2).jpg

20. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

panzerman likes this.
  21. Hus.thaler

Nice ducat, and, once again, it is a Protestant Reformation piece.

I don't know why so many of these particular commemoratives are chronograms, so I'd be interested in anybody's theory.

panzerman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted