Any ancient guys want to help me out and take me under there wing

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by enochian, Aug 20, 2013.

1. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

chrsmat71 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

chrsmat71 and stevex6 like this.
  4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

5. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

great links!

hey, if you have your ancients in that little 60 pocket harris album...get them out before long...they contain pvc (i used to have some stuff in one also!). make sure you get pvc free flips also!

i

6. enochian

enochian silver eater

I wasent aware of that thanks glad i havent baugjt any yet

7. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Once you get some good info under your belt, collect what you like. Make a plan, buy what you can afford. One thing you might add to all of this info, go to your local coin shop, they should have a few of these coin on hand, it's fun to hold them. Also coin show's come along once a month or so, you'll find dealers with just Ancients, you can always make a deal, then post them here, we love to see what you pick up..:)

Collect89 likes this.
  8. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I recently read this book (twice). It was an enjoyable read and the book is available at low cost.
    Collecting Greek Coins by John Anthony

Another cheap book is the Handbook of Ancient Greek & Roman Coins by Zander Klawans.

These beginner books helped me to better understand ancient coins. Now I know enough to be dangerous.

9. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

=> I totally agree!! (I own both of those great lil' books) ... if I'm not mistaken, I think Doug suggested both of those books at one time or another?

10. enochian

enochian silver eater

My lcs dosent have amy as soon as some come in which dosent happen offten tjere gone

11. Bing

Uh/ You been drinkin' and not sharin'?

stevex6 likes this.
  12. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Nice!!

=> Wow, enochian seems like he's following the stevex6 process!!?

1 part coin + 3 parts wine = voila!!

13. Windchild

Windchild Punic YN, Shahanshah

Probably not.

He is just too lazy to use spelling and grammar...

stevex6 and vlaha like this.
  14. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

Drinking+small screen+awesome coin people sharing their knowledge=strange post.

stevex6 likes this.
  15. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I recently read this book (twice). It was an enjoyable read and the book is available at low cost.
    Collecting Greek Coins by John Anthony

Another cheap book is the Handbook of Ancient Greek & Roman Coins by Zander Klawans.

These beginner books helped me to better understand ancient coins. Now I know enough to be dangerous.​
    Ancientnoob loaned me the John Anthony book & I didn't return it until I had read it twice. I want one for my library. I believe there are several used copies available on Amazon for less than $10 post paid.

You & Doug & others at CT have recommended several good books on ancients. I actually keep a list of your recommendations with me for when I stumble across used books for sale. The OP could search "ancient books" at CT to find threads suggesting some good reading material.

stevex6 likes this.
  16. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

OP, if you like romans, the one singular book I would recommend would be Sear's Roman Coins and their Values 1988 edition, pink cover. Best single book on romans ever. Check out ebay, sometimes they can go for $30 or less. Trust me, greatest single ancient book you will own.

Ask us if you have more specific questions. I have about 700 books on coins now, most on ancient coins. I have an opinion on many.

For storage, I use 2x2 flips and boxes. I simply do not have the room to store them all in albums. Heck, I always have quite a few not even in flips yet.

Best advice to you? Do not buy "uncleaned coins". Almost all are only worthless junk being pawned off to beginners. Much better to buy a good coin you will like forever, money better spent.

stevex6 likes this.
  17. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

That Sear is a good one, medoraman recommended it to me.

18. Bing

As for books, Medman is absolutely correct. The single volume 1988 Sear book is invaluable and easy to use.

Jwt708 likes this.
  19. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

For the OPs benefit, this is the Sear book. It describes Roman coins in one volume.

Of course, it will not describe the differences between Celtic, Greek, Roman, Byzantine, Papal, etc. IMG_4568.jpg IMG_4569.jpg IMG_4570.jpg It describes Roman coins.

20. enochian

enochian silver eater

i think im going to go with a blank dansco album. ancients would look real nice in the brown color

21. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Problem would be ancients are not round, various sizes, and many are much thicker than what will fit in a dansco. Go to a show and see ancients in person.

There is a distinct reason why we do not use albums, rather mainly store our coins in flips, and then in pages or boxes.

Draft saved Draft deleted