Any ancient guys want to help me out and take me under there wing

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by enochian, Aug 20, 2013.

1. enochian

enochian silver eater

Iv got a lot to learn. I spent more then half the day yesterday trying to identify my only two ancient roman coins. Which i had a lot of fun doing and during my research I learned a lot of stuff that I didn’t know. I’m currently reading the only ancient coin book my library has. titled Ancient coins how to collect for fun and profit by ted g wear 1965.

Altho this book is interesting there’s just not enough information about actual coins. This book mostly talks about the gods how the coins were made, and denominations etc. nothing to do with coin terms legends mints etc. If any one has any books they are willing to lend me or give me id be very grateful.

website links are good to but id rather have something physical. I collect books as well as coins.

List the best websites you know that will help me learn . I’m very new to the numismatic aspect.

Now on to coin storage. I’m not aware of any albums or even a round about average size of ancient coins ( i know they come in many different sizes) to make my own album from USA blank pages. so the only thing I can think of is a album that holds 2x2s. I may get something like this to start out with I want to keep my ancients and other coins separate HTTP://www.ebay.com/itm/1-60-POCKET...405?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d42e7f93d Id also be very grateful if any one has any extra ancient supplies they can help out with. as well.

My main reason for starting this thread is to gain knowledge and to kick start my ancients collection

My passion is any thing old with an untold history. So naturally i love coins. My main area of coins is us. But they are starting to bore me with there same designs plus them being widespread. I also love mythology so what better to collect that combines all of my passions then ancients. particularly roman and Greek Id be even more grateful if any one has any extra coins that can help to hook me on to ancients. I don’t care if they are cleaned or non cleaned. (Id prefer both) I just don’t what any one to identify them for me . I need to try and do that on my own. I’m not looking for a hand out I'm looking to gain knowledge and practice before i go out and purchase my own.

STACKERDENNIS likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. enochian

enochian silver eater

These are what i have so far

got this one from a amazing ancient guy when i first started here over a year ago. He dosen't seem to be around any more.

Anonymous Commemorative issue, Time of Constantine, AE3/4. VRBS ROMA; Helmeted bust of Roma facing left / She-wolf standing left suckling twins; two stars above, three-armed branch in upper centre; mintmark SCONST. RIC VII Arles 368 var (branch type) if im correct 332 AD

[​IMG][​IMG]
    this one I baught my self along time ago i think i payed to much for it at a yardsale.

Constantine II, as Caesar. Heraclea mint, struck AD 330-335. RIC VII 117

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

stevex6 and Ripley like this.
  4. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

All of my collection in archival safe 2x2s and the main part of my collection is then held in a bunch of albums. Ancients have a huge size range with my ancient Greek silvers ranging from about 7 mm through to almost 35 mm. Some Ptolemaic bronzes go beyond what a 2x2 will hold.

I hope you get the chance to get hooked on them. As a t-shirt that my daughter has states "Welcome to the dark side... we have cookies"

Ancientnoob and Bambooski like this.
  5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Let me guess, stainless?

Welcome to the world of ancients. If it was stainless it's his fault I got into them also, as well as everyone else here.

I store my ancients in 2x2 flips and then have them housed in binders.

6. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

7. enochian

enochian silver eater

no it was a guy from france maybe you can guess from there.
    I feel realy bad he also sent me a nice silver french franc and a extra 1917 walking liberty for free. so i told him id send him some random american coins I had. but my internet got shut off then i moved and lost his address and have tryied contaccting him on here with no reply. I even wrote him a long full page letter to send with the american coins thanking him etc

I currently have my foreign and ancients in a old zip up binder that i put pages in. It looks like crap tho. I realy want a album that resembles the ones i have for my us coins.
    I could make one out of a blank coin album but the problem is im not sure which blank page would have a hole that most ancients would fit in. Littleton seems to be the only company that i see that has a ancient album but its almost $50 and way to much for me. Ive also seen pre made coin albums that hold 2x2s some where but i cant find them again.

Im considering one of thoes 60 pocket harris wallet things but the look flat and cheap and i dont think they will stand up on a shelf by them selfs.

8. enochian

enochian silver eater

9. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

10. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

STACKERDENNIS likes this.
  11. enochian

enochian silver eater

any books less then $10 around anywhere id rather have a real copy of something coin books cost so much money tho

12. STACKERDENNIS

STACKERDENNIS Keep Stacking!

Awesome thread I'm also interested in ancients, I just got my first few coins a couple months ago and don't know what they are but i think they may be from Asia. They were super cheap and neat so I picked them up.

randygeki likes this.
  13. STACKERDENNIS

STACKERDENNIS Keep Stacking!

Thanks for the links!

randygeki likes this.
  14. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

Welcome to the dark side Enochian! Eight months ago I was in your shoes, asking for info and wondering how and where to start. Now I've got an ancient collection of over 50 coins and growing. Mostly Late Roman Bronzes, or "LRB"s as they are known in the lingo.

I'm having a blast. Collecting ancients has re-invigorated my interest in the hobby. Don't worry, the guys on this forum have a wealth of knowledge and won't steer you wrong. Good luck!

Eng likes this.
  15. enochian

enochian silver eater

Post the unidentified ones in tje forum id love to see them

16. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

dark-side-of-the-moon 3.jpg

vlaha, Eng, chrsmat71 and 2 others like this.
  17. enochian

enochian silver eater

Very cool race tthis is what im hopeing for

18. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Numismall went under & is no longer competition for vcoins, its now owned by ancient coins canada & only their stuff which is usually bleh.

19. enochian

enochian silver eater

keep the knowledge coming

20. Windchild

Windchild Punic YN, Shahanshah

They do offer a lot of different stuff, some of what I find very hard to find...

21. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted