Any advice on unbending a coin?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Brit in Texas, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Brit in Texas

Brit in Texas Senior Member

So I bought a Canadian large cent yesterday at the B&M even though it has a rather nasty bend. I was wondering if anyone's had any sucess unbending coins and had some tips. I realise I'll not get it perfect but so long as it fits in a 2x2 without it sticking out to me every time I flip through that folder I'll be happy.

Unfortunately I don't have a vice. If I did i'd use that with the coin sandwiched between some thick pieces of leather or something similar. You think the same sandwich with a hammer would work? Obviously I'll be gentle and not smashing it like a mad man.

Any advice gratefully received :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

steam roller

4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

heavy hammer.
    works every time

5. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Metal detectorists (many dug coins are bent when found) often use heat to straighten up a coin. I've not tried that. What i have tried is placing the coin between the leaves of a small, stiff, hard bound book (for example the redbook), and pressing hard. You can also sit on it! It will not damage the coin. I have used that on some mediaeval coins i found with success.

6. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Try a soft (pine) piece of wood and a large hammer. Place the coin on a relatively soft surface and then put the chunk of wood directly ontop of the coin and use the hammer as needed starting off with gently taps, checking the results after each blow until you get the desired flatness. Can't say it won't do some damage to the coin, but it might be worth a try.

Good Luck
    Ben

7. gacoinz

gacoinz New Member

Put the coin on a clean flat hard surface such as a smooth concrete floor. Take a large rubber mallet hammer and hit the coin in a nice smooth but hard blow and it should unfold the coin nicely. I've used the mallet to smooth out almost unnoticeable bends in coins and it's worked good for me although I try to not buy any coins with bends anymore.

8. rotobeast

rotobeast Old Newbie

This is the method I have used.
    ;)

9. HandsomeToad

HandsomeToad Urinist

A pine 2X4 and a dead-blow hammer werks good. :hammer:
    Knot that I wood know! :whistle:

Ribbit :cool:

Ps: Is our next subject going to be, which tooth-paste werks best at cleaning coins? :rolleyes:

10. Brit in Texas

Brit in Texas Senior Member

Puns galore!

Thanks guys. I tried Eduards tip first but it didn't work out. After that I put it in the middle of a thick paper back book and hit it with a hammer a few times. It started out with probably a 10 degree bend, now it's almost straight. I could have gone further with it but decided to leave it with a little bit still there.

It looks pretty good now sitting in its 2x2 :)

Thanks again.

11. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I found a bent $2 twoonie once, apparently someone had bent it to get the centre core out, then put it back in. I used two pairs of pliers and towels to protect the coin.

12. Jersey

Jersey Senior Member

If you wrap it in cloth, just make sure you know what side you are hitting. I once wrapped a coin in cloth and hit it with a hammer. Took it out and it looked like a hard-shell taco. (I hit the wrong end and both of the ends were touching)

Draft saved Draft deleted