Any advice for a newbie...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by jeremy_elkins, Mar 15, 2015.

1. jeremy_elkins

jeremy_elkins Member

Thank you

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jeremy_elkins

jeremy_elkins Member

Thank you.

4. jeremy_elkins

jeremy_elkins Member

Point understood. Thank you.

5. jeremy_elkins

jeremy_elkins Member

Thank you. When at a bank, do they review what coins they release? For instance, if you ask for 20$ in half dollars do the have any guide in regards to what to not let out?

6. jeremy_elkins

jeremy_elkins Member

Thank you. I was actually reading up about the cleaning of coins. Hot sauce, ketchup, vinegars? I think I will stay away from all that.

7. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

Hot sauce, ketchup, and vinegar should only be used on tacos, not coins. Collector will mainly only buy coins with original surfaces, no matter how ugly they look. They will stay away from cleaned coins and when they buy them they will pay less than half the price depending on the coin. I have a couple very nice AU/BU Canada Large Cents and Queen Victorica Fathings that would be worth quite a bit of money if not cleaned, considering that they are cleaned they are barely worth the price of one graded in Fine condition.

My advice, Don't clean coins. (I think you know that though)

jeremy_elkins likes this.
  8. miedbe7

miedbe7 Wayward Collector

I honestly don't know what the procedures are. Most banks coinage is handled by outside, contracted companies like Brinks. I'm sure there are screening measures taken, but things always slip through. You'd do well to check out the Coin Roll Hunting section of this site. I don't CRH myself, but a bunch of people do it to look for silver, varieties, and, more up your alley, errors.

9. littlehugger

littlehugger Active Member

Dexterity with the coin is always a factor, but I find I have better dexterity overall, with gloves, than I do fooling around with tongs, or edge holding, or using objects as pushers and manipulators. It depends on what you are attempting to do. Often, gloves will make it a bit harder to pick up a coin, but overall easier in positioning and manipulating.
    I only use gloves for high grade stuff, such as proof, and/or uncirculated stuff still in the mint packaging. For things like common proofs of low priced coins, its cost effective to put them in your albums, but I would keep high price/rarity coins in their packaging rather than handle them at all.
    Most of the rarer coins I buy are in higher circulated grades that I can afford, and no gloves are needed. I also notice that if you handle a lot of coins with gloves, such as when searching rolls, they get soiled with a layer of dirt and particles of whatever the coins are made of, which will most definitely leave marks. But, gloves are cheap in bulk on Ebay.

10. littlehugger

littlehugger Active Member

Interesting video, and I notice they handle the coins barehanded, but no specific statement about gloves vs no gloves. Makes me worry about ending them really high grade stuff.

11. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I'd be more worried about coins getting damaged in transit than at PCGS. Without knowing anything specifically about you, I'd be willing to wager that most PCGS graders have more experience with coins than you and me both.

12. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

In general no, to them they are just coins, nothing special. Sometimes some of the tellers will know to watch for silver and will pull that out if they run across it and some will pull out "oddities" that they notice. The only real directives that I know the have for pulling something out is if any notes larger than $100 come in they are not to be given back out and are to be forwarded to the Federal reserve for destruction.

Draft saved Draft deleted