Antoninus Pius sestertius

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by randygeki, Oct 20, 2011.

1. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Thought I would share my new sestertius with you all. It has a nice highlight but makes it a little more difficult for me to photograph.

Antoninus Pius AE Sestertius. 142 AD. ANTONINVS AVG PIVS P P TR P COS III, laureate head right / CONCORDIA EX-ERCITVVM S-C, Concordia standing left, holding Victory & and legionary standard. Cohen 139. RIC 600, Cohen 139, BMC 1232

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

This is a good photo capturing a lot of detail. Thanks for sharing.

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Another cool pickup Randy.

5. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Agreed, cool pickup.

I always wish these coins had stronger reverses. It seems the Romans weren't as talented striking large bronzes as the Ptolemy's were. I find nice obverses frequently with weak or non-existent reverses.

6. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Thanks all. :) The dirt on it makes it look a little more flat in my photo than in hand. The only pic that showed relief was with lighting from the bottom and wasn't flattering. The rev. is a little darker, but it is pretty flat.

Heres another A. Pius sestertius with a bit more relief on both sides. I think this was the cheaper coin of the 2 for me :hail: and the heaviest roman coin I have ( 27.7 g)

Attached Files:

7. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

That is a better struck reverse!

I wasn't trying to pick on your first coin Randy, I see weaker reverses on these all of the time, many times worst than that. I was just making a general observation.

Chris

8. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

I agree. Particularly in middle AEs

9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

It is a good point. As a challenge: Try to find an example of a bronze with a better strike on the reverse than on the obverse. I have several I'd call equal but none 'better'.

10. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Only one (of mine)

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted