Antoninus Pius Restoration of Divus Augustus Temple coins - redux

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by jamesicus, Aug 14, 2020.

1. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

This is a follow-up to a previous post. It seems there is still some controversy or confusion relating to the depiction on the reverse of the Antoninus Pius coins which illustrate a Corinthian octostyle (eight column) structure versus the hexastyle (six column) original structure depicted on the Caligula Sestertius.

The consensus now appears to be that the Antoninus Pius building engineers, while generally adhering to the original design, were permitted to exercise some of their own discretion in designing the Temple depicted on the Antoninus Pius restoration coins.

But the question remains in my mind: was that really the case, or was the rebuild of Antoninus Pius based on the restoration of Domitian after a fire - no depiction of which has survived?

I would appreciate any input from CT members relating to this.

Reference coins:

[​IMG]
    CAIUS (CALIGULA), SESTERTIUS, BMCRE Vol. I, Rome, No. 69 (Pl. 29.12)
    CAIUS (CALIGULA), SESTERTIUS, RIC Vol. I, Rome, No. 51
    (40-41AD, 35mm, 26.2gm)

Obverse depiction: Personification of Pietas, draped, seated left
    Inscription: C CAESAR DIVI AVG PRON AVG PM TRP IIII PP (in exergue): PIETAS

Reverse depiction: Caligula, veiled and togate, standing left holding patera over altar - attendants (victimarius) on either side holding bull for sacrifice - hexastyle temple of Divus Augustus, surmounted by quadriga and festooned with garlands, in background.
    Reverse Horizontal Inscription: {small lettering} DIVO AVG and below: S C (left and right)

Note: Also BMCRE 41, RIC 36 - with obverse legend: C CAESAR AVG GERMANICVS PM TR POT (in exergue): PIETAS

[​IMG]
    ANTONINUS PIUS, DENARIUS, RIC III, ROME, NO. 284
    16.67mm, 3.73 grams

Obverse depiction: bust of Antoninus Pius, laureate, facing right
    Obverse Inscription: ANTONINVS AVG PIVS P P TR P XXII

Reverse depiction: Octastyle Temple with figures (Augustus and Livia) inside.
    Reverse Inscription: AED DIVI AVG REST - COS IIII in exergue.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted