Antoninus Pius Dupondius..Tooled?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Spaniard, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

Recently I've started collecting big Roman bronzes, but really do lack experience on signs of tooling. Wondered if the experts here could give me some feedback on this coin.
    Its from a very reputable dealer that I've used for years and with my inexperienced eye would say that this coin is NOT tooled but would really appreciate others views.
    Thanks Paul
    Mr3H5XGt9bB68izFoJr2K7AjkK849D.jpg
    Antoninus Pius. 138-161 AD. AE Dupondius (11.76 gm, 25mm). Rome mint. Struck 154-155 AD.
    Obv.: ANTONINVS AVG PIVS P P TR P XVIII, radiate head right.
    Rev.: LIBERTAS COS IIII / S – C, Libertas with pileus and skepter standing left.
    RIC 933; C. -; BMC 1969. gVF.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

The fields may have been smoothed, but I can't see any obvious tooling from the photo. You'd need to look up next to and in the detail areas of the devices with magnification to see if any metal was moved.

Spaniard likes this.
  4. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

I'm not an expert, so take what I'm about to write with a grain of salt, (whatever that means).

Generally, to spot tooled coins, you look for details added to the highest parts of the coin. The coin above has a lot of sharp details in the protected areas, such as in the hair between the spikes of the radiate crown, but the highest parts--the curls above AP's ear, the base of the radiate crown, and the right half of Libertas' body on the reverse--are worn flat. This is where you would expect to see the most wear in an untooled coin. So no, the coin does not leap out at me and scream "Tooled."

5. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

I have no expertise to comment on the tooling issue. But that is one of the sharpest obverse strikes I’ve ever seen for a bronze of that period. I certainly hope it’s not tooled. That’s a beautiful coin.

ominus1, Paul M. and Spaniard like this.
  6. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

This coin has been around the block a few times and sold by reputable firms. It sold at Münzen & Medaillen GmbH (DE) Auction 43, lot 334, Feb 26, 2016. Again at Solidus Numismatik Auction 38, lot 466, Feb 17, 2019.

7. Paul M.

It can definitely park on my block if it takes another trip around, too.

8. thejewk

thejewk Well-Known Member

It's a stunner.

Spaniard likes this.
  9. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Great coin and I would say not tooled.

Spaniard likes this.
  10. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..that's a dandy!...i usually go by what the legend wear looks like compared to the portrait and devices...but that's me...:)

Spaniard likes this.
  11. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the feedback guys, really appreciated.....Paul
    Thats good to see thanks RC...
    Sorry it's going to be parked here for a very long time:D

Paul M. and Roman Collector like this.
  12. Paul M.

No problem. I am very patient, and there's a "reserved parking" sign for it in my safe. ;)

Roman Collector likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted