Antoninus Pius drachm

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ancient coin hunter, Dec 12, 2019.

1. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Should I pull the trigger? A bit pricey or wait for one in better condition? I find the reverse pretty interesting - horse prancing, agathadaemon on its back...

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

What does the obverse look like o_O?

4. ancient coin hunter

5. thejewk

thejewk Well-Known Member

It's a great reverse. Can you live with the surface condition for the price?

6. ancient coin hunter

Not sure, that's why I wanted some feedback from you guys/gals...the pitting is a bit unsightly

7. ancient coin hunter

OK > I'm thinking of pulling the trigger in the affirmative. I'll keep y'all posted if I get it.

Justin Lee likes this.
  8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

You know, @ancient coin hunter , with all the pitting, pockmarks, and craters, the Moon still looks great!

I like the coin... GO FOR IT!

upload_2019-12-12_17-0-15.png

9. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Amazing imagery! I think this is the coin in @TIF ’s cute animated film which I cannot seem to locate :(

ancient coin hunter likes this.
  10. Al Kowsky

Alegandron, You deserve a prize for that post :rolleyes:!
    d52058a3bbb83.jpg

Alegandron likes this.
  11. ancient coin hunter

I think TIF's was Domitian. But close enough, admittedly her's was in much better shape though.

Justin Lee and Deacon Ray like this.
  12. Al Kowsky

ancient coin hunter, I'm a style & condition freak, so I could never live with a coin like that unless I could get it dirt cheap. The coin is attractive except for the surface. If you like it & can justify the price go for it :).

13. ancient coin hunter

As far as the iconography goes, the horse may represent the god Khnum, a ram-headed deity of Upper Egypt, who sometimes was depicted as a horse, particularly in the cult center of Coptos. Khnum created man on a potter's wheel in one creation myth. There is an interesting text called the Oracle of the Potter in which the Egyptians witness the destruction of Alexandria (or the city of the belt-wearers, as it is termed) and a return of native rule (2nd/1st century B.C. provenance).

Edit: link added
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oracle_of_the_Potter

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    thejewk and Pellinore like this.
  14. ancient coin hunter

I did make an offer below the asking price which was rejected. Go figure. Since the asking price was above that for my Balbinus and Pupienus sestertii I'm just going to let it go...

Justin Lee and thejewk like this.
  15. ancient coin hunter

Nobody paid the inflated price so the auction has been re-started...I got an email about it.

16. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
  17. ancient coin hunter

Thanks. I'm reconsidering whether I should increase my bid and just get back into the auction fun.

18. TIF

TIF Always learning.

It's offered by Mr. High Rating/Low Price, so you know what kind of markup he has going. As you probably saw, it was unslabbed when it last sold for $42 in a Heritage auction (August 2017). Interesting that HA didn't bother to slab it. They tend to only forgo coffins when the coins are very low grade.

However, this particular variety is hard to find in higher grade. HA had another one in the same year. Wish I'd seen that one. It's corroded and the usual form of horrible but less so than others, including mine. Speaking of, here's mine, a former Stevex6 coin so it has some sentimental value:

[​IMG]
    EGYPT, Alexandria. Antoninus Pius
    Æ drachm (32mm, 23.0 g, 12h); RY 23 (CE 159/60)
    Obv: Laureate bust right, slight drapery
    Rev: Serapis-Agathodaemon serpent erect right on horseback advancing right; L K Γ (date) across field. Only the K is visible on this coin but this is the only year of issue for the type
    Ref: Cf. Köln 1852-3; Dattari (Savio) 8939; K&G 35.820; Emmett 1679
    Ex X6 Collection.

I am definitely on the lookout for a better example. The Zlobin coin is more appealing than mine but not enough so to make me try for it unless it was closer to the last sales price, and Zlobin won't go that low.

19. TIF

TIF Always learning.

A snake riding a horse is super cool. A Serapis-headed snake riding a horse is over-the-top awesome :D. I would definitely like a better example, so we will be bidding against one another when the time comes.

Some higher grade but not Serapis-headed snake cowboys:

[​IMG]
    EGYPT, Alexandria. Domitian. Regnal year 10, CE 90/91. Æ diobol (25mm, 10.86 g, 12h). AVT KAICAP ΔΟ ΜΙΤ CEB ΓΕΡΜ, laureate head right / Agathodaemon serpent, wearing the skhent crown (emblematic of upper and lower Egypt), on horseback galloping left; L I (date) below. Köln –; Dattari (Savio) –; K&G 24.109; RPC II 2585; SNG Copenhagen 214; Emmett 277.10 (R5).

[​IMG]
    LYDIA, Philadelphia. Caracalla. Æ 31, 16.7 gm, CE 198-217. Ioulianos, strategos. AVT K M AVP ANTΩNЄINOC; laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right / ЄΠI CTPA IOVΛIANOV A ΠOΛ ΦIΛΑΔЄΛΦЄΩN; horse prancing left surmounted by serpent coiled left. BMC 85. Very rare.

Serapis-headed serpent, sans horse:

[​IMG]

20. ancient coin hunter

Thanks TIF. You probably have figured out who is selling the piece. I just found a similar piece at a much better rate offered for a fixed price, so that's the tack I'm going to take.

Draft saved Draft deleted