Antoninus Pius (138 - 161 A.D.) - ITALIA denarius

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by rexesq, Feb 10, 2011.

1. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

Well, I won this denarius of Antoninus Pius, I really have liked these types of the different emperors, the ones of Hispania, Italia et cetera.... this is of Italia.
    What do you guys think of it? I bought it from a well respected and reputable seller, but I am not too familiar with this time period of Roman Coinage, so if anyone sees anything that doesn't look right, please let me know.

Aside from that, I just wanted to see what everyone thought of this new purchase of mine.
    ------------------
    ------------------
    Antoninus Pius Denarius. Rome Mint. Struck 140 AD.
    obv: ANTONINVS AVG PIVS PP TR P COS III - laureate head right.
    rev: ITA-LIA - Italia in turreted crown, seated left on globe with cornucopiae & scepter.
    3.1grams
    -------------------
    -------------------

I notice that you cannot really see the turreted crown on Italia's head very well on this example, should I be concerned about that?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Hmm, a coin like that I would skip. I dont like the look of it but then again it could be perfectly fine. Doug or some others can confirm I am sure.

Plus it could be the not so great seller pics.

4. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Yeah the pics arent so great but the portrait looks really nice on this one, but dont know about the turreted crown. Maybe just a weak strike or a varaint, or wear. :eek: idk sorry

edit: found this

http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/sear5/s4185.html

granted its a sestertius, but the turrets are pretty small.

5. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

Thanks, yeah I was looking at the few examples they had there for the Denarius, and the turret looked a bit more noticeable in a couple, but I didn't check out the Sesterces of the type. Yeah it could be wear or any number of things.
    Well hopefully some others can give some input, it all looks good to me from the photos. Some of the globes Italia is seated on in the wildwinds examples have crosshatching, or remains of it.
    http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/sear/s1238.html#RIC_0073

Worst case scenario is me sending it back and getting a refund :(

6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I can't say anything about the coin worth hearing except possibly that the photo is horrid and could make good look bad or bad look good.

7. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

I'll be sure to take some myself when I have it in hand, could be a couple of weeks though.

8. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

I think its ok but yeah, cant tell with the pics.

9. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I would not be worried about a lack of a turret on the head, as Roman coins are hard to find perfectly centered on a large flan. It appears yours is slightly off-center and normally the crown would be off since the strike/flan looks weak there. With that Republican I bought recently I learned even a good photo can show lack of detail when it really is there, just hard to photograph due to uneven flans.

However, I agree with everyone that the photo makes the coins color look completely wrong. You really need to see this coin in hand and take a more, (hopefully), representative picture to be able to tell much.

10. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

New pics - ITALIA Denarius

Okay, so once I got the coin, and felt it and checked it out closely, I am pretty sure it is authentic.... I took some new photos for you guys to look at and let me know if you see anything that stands out, I did the best I could with my camera. Any comments or criticism is welcome.

11. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

I think its ok, just a little rough, I really like the portrait! Much nicer that my Pius denarius.

12. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

It looks like a good AP, Rex.

13. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

s guys, I appreciate the comments and help. I am quite fond of this little denarius.

Draft saved Draft deleted