Antoninianus Victorinus Rev Pax ?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ChasPay, Mar 29, 2017.

1. ChasPay

ChasPay Active Member

I think I got this coin confused with another. But I am not sure since I am new to ancient coins so I figured I'd ask for a little help. My eyes are getting tired of staring at different websites and pictures.

50 front new close.jpg 50 rear new close.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Victorinus with Pax reverse is right. What about the coin has you doubting your reading of it?

Mikey Zee and dougsmit like this.
  4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Not only is it correctly identified but this is a rather nice example of the coin. So often we are asked to ID scraps of metal with no details. This is a pleasure. What other coin was causing the confusion?

5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

6. ChasPay

ChasPay Active Member

I had been staring at coins all night. Thanks for the help. I was getting it confused with these two. It was 4 or 5 in the morning and my eyes needed a break. 51 rear new close.jpg 49 rear close.jpg

Bing likes this.
  7. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Yours is nice @ChasPay
    This is as close as I can get you as far as my collection goes.
    RIC V(6) 116
    Victorinus-Pax [MBBH].jpg

8. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

A full attribute for ya
    Obv. IMP C VICTORINVS PF AVG
    Radiate draped and cuirassed bust right
    Rev. PAX AVG
    Pax standing left holding olive branch and scepter.
    V and star in fields
    RIC V6 116

9. ChasPay

ChasPay Active Member

Thanks for the help, I really do appreciate it. Saves me a lot of time and eye strain.

10. ChasPay

ChasPay Active Member

I really can't take the credit of owning the coin though. I only own one ancient the others belong to a friend who is retiring. I have been trying to figure out a way to buy his collection but I can't afford it. You will probably find this and the others in the wts soon. Thanks again for the help.

11. Aethelred

Aethelred The Old Dead King

I have a soft spot in my otherwise cold dark heart for the Gallic Empire, I like this example. Victorinus was nothing if not an interesting fellow living in interesting times!

Smojo and Jwt708 like this.
  12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

VICTORIA AET (Eternal Victory) note the wings on Victory
    View attachment 605292

HILARITAS AVGG?
    View attachment 605293

Your reverse is PAX AVG like the one Smojo showed but his has the longer form obverse legend including PIAV after C and before VICTORINVS that yours does not. Unless I am very confused the two other reverses you showed were not coins of Victorinus so you should not have been considering them. This makes another point. Whenever you are showing something online in a venue like Coin Talk, help those who might want to help you by giving all the information. That means showing both sides of a coin if you show one side. It happens that Pax was a common type used by several emperors but your reverse has the V * in the field which would suggest Victorinus to those who study these. The Hilaritas appears to have AVGG at the end and the double G is used when there were two rulers. In this case, that means Tetricus the father and son since Victorinus ruled alone. The other coin shown with Victory is a common type for Gallienus. Where did you get these photos? How did they come into play when trying to find that Pax?

This may all seem too deep to take in all at once. It is! That is why we are here to help. The regular posters on this site have over 200 years experience with these coins. The chances of all of us working together being able to fingure out a coin is pretty good (just as is the chance that we will occasionally disagree with each other). Welcome.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  13. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Take note, @Smojo, you got the bonus PIAV on yours :).

Smojo likes this.
  14. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

15. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Marcus Piavonius Victorinus

zumbly likes this.
  16. ChasPay

ChasPay Active Member

I just recently got into Ancients when a friend asked me to help sell his small collection for him. For payment I received a nice Greek coin that I thought looked pretty. I collected U.S. coins as a hobby when I was younger. Now I collect whatever strikes my fancy so there is no rhyme or rhythm to what I collect but I am loving some of the Greek coins. I will have to get a couple of books and start reading up on it if I start playing around with Roman coins to much. I like the artistry of the Greeks though so I already ordered a book on them from Amazon.

Anyhow I was taking them out to scan six at a time, first one side then the other. Then I couldn't remember which one went in which holder. Then I started looking at a pile of different websites trying to get it all worked out. Then I realized how late it was. Next time I stay up all night looking at coins I should at least drink half a bottle of wine so I have a better excuse for needing the help.

On a side note Wildwinds does have some good pics and information if you can get enough in the search engine to find what you are looking for, although I don't understand a large amount of the information yet.

Aethelred likes this.
  17. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Chas => congrats on your OP-Victorinus

I only have one example of this fellow ... my coin has a Sol reverse

Victorinus.jpg

18. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Victorinus.jpg
    Cologne, AD 269/70
    2.63 g; 20.1 mm
    IMP C PIAV VICTORINVS P F AVG, radiate, draped bust right