Antique/ancient Asian coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by DadaVanya, Jun 8, 2010.

1. DadaVanya

DadaVanya Junior Member

I hope this is legal; somebody report me and have this deleted if it is not.
    Anyhow, I have put representative samples of my old Asian coins onto FLICKR, strictly for your entertainment (or possible boredom).

This is not a commercial venture; none of these coins is for sale.
    Please feel free to use any of the pictures for your own use. They are all scans of my own coins. Well, all but the pictures of SpongeBob.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johndanielreid/

EDIT: These coins are mostly Chinese, a few Annamese, even fewer Korean, and only one is Japanese.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I enjoyed looking over your good photos even though our collecting interests barely overlap. I was hoping for some from India and Central Asia but it was interesting to see such a large number of Far-Eastern items. While I agree your coins are 'Asian', you might have attracted more viewers and comments by telling what was covered in your first post. I have next to no experience with Korean, Vietnamese and other cash type coins beyond the most common Chinese. Thanks especially for some of the counterfeit examples. One of the reasons that I have avoided these items is that I feel completely unprepared to separate the good from the bad (old bad, new bad, really bad and deceptive all look the same at my level).

4. DadaVanya

DadaVanya Junior Member

Re:Asian coins

I have altered the description to include the countries whence the coins. Thanks for the reminder that not all Asian coins are East Asian.

5. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

6. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I'll keep the link for future reference. Thanks

Thank you for all the China coin photos with attributions.

7. Ardatirion

8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Thanks. I collected ancients from the mid 60's to the mid 00's with no Asian coins at all. Recently I expanded the interest area to the point that 90% of what I bought in the last year was Asian. I was a slow learner.

I forget who/where I have asked about which coins but would appreciate ID (or confirmation) of the attached. The stylized man is familiar as a copy of the standing king type but a bit farther 'developed' than many. The distinctive bull should make the ID easy but I'm not sure.
    http://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=36633

Attached Files:

9. Ardatirion

The bull type seems wider-spread than I expected. There's some in Sri Lanka and S. India, at least. This one seems to be stylistically the closest to it:
    http://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=72383

I have one of the standing king types, but I haven't photographed it or done any detailed attribution yet.

10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

That would seem to be the coin but the interesting part is the discussion both there and on the coin linked in the discussions showing the experts can't even agree within four centuries or more than general region.

Draft saved Draft deleted