Antiochus XII

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by 7Calbrey, Feb 18, 2020.

1. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

During my short search, I found up that coins of Seleucid Emperor Antiochus XII Dionysus Callinicus are relatively rare. The following relevant bronze coin was struck in Damascus. Reverse has Tyche standing left holding cornucopia in left hand and something with her right extended hand. It weighs 8.84 g. The nearest attribution is a primary reference SNG Spaer 2900 whereby the coin weighs only 6.73 g. with Tyche on reverse holding a branch with her right non extended hand . Could this be a mere variety for this rare series of Seleucid coins? Thank you. Feel free to post any Antiochus XII coin

Antio 12.JPG Antich R.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

I believe your coin is this one. They range from 5.5 to 9+ grams. I wouldn't consider them rare.
    Screenshot_20200218-171041_Samsung Internet.jpg

g303.jpg
    Antiochus XII
    Damascus
    83/82 BC
    Obvs: Antiochus diademed with short curly beard right.
    Revs: BAΣIΛEΩΣ ANTIOXV ΔIONV[OV EΠIФANOV[ ФIΛOΠATOPO[ KAΛΛINIKOY, Zeus standing left holding Nike and sceptre. Dotted boreder.
    AE 20x21mm, 9.26g
    Ref: SC 2381; HGC 9, 1329(S-R1)

4. Ed Snible

Ed Snible Well-Known Member

I don't have any of these.

http://numismatics.org/sco/id/sc.1.2473 shows six examples, all considered the same denomination, ranging from 5.87 to 11.15 g. However, the online version is calling it Antiochus XI, not XII.

7Calbrey likes this.
  5. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

How is the heaviest one the same denomination while #2409 minted 10 years earlier, is a larger denomination?

7Calbrey likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted