Antiochus IV Epiphanes and Hanukkah

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Shea19, Dec 11, 2020.

1. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

I recently added this large bronze of Antiochus IV Epiphanes, the notorious Seleucid king. I thought it would be a good time to share this coin, because Antiochus IV is the villain of the story of Hanukkah, which started last night. Hanukkah celebrates the Jewish victory over the forces of Antiochus IV, and the rededication of the Second Temple in Jerusalem.

This coin is from Antiochus IV's "Egyptianizing" series, and I've been wanting to get a nice example from this series for a long time. Coins from this series resemble large Ptolemaic bronzes, and were struck during the time of Antiochus IV's successful campaigns and occupation of Egypt. The description from the auction house says that this was struck to honor Antiochus IV's victories in Egypt, but as far as I know, there's no consensus for the exact reason behind this series. This coin is quite large (33 mm and 34 g), but even larger denominations were struck as part of this series.

230301B3-2633-42F8-B473-3629714D33BD.jpeg
    Seleucid Kings of Syria, Antiochos IV Epiphanes, AE Hemidrachm (33 mm, 34.37 g), "Egyptianizing" series, with bevelled edges, struck in honor of Antiochos IV's victories over Egypt, Antioch, 169-168 BC. Laureate head of Zeus-Serapis to right; with Osiris cap upon taenia. Rev. ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΑΝΤΙΟΧΟΥ ΘΕΟΥ ΕΠΙΦΑΝΟΣ Eagle standing right on thunderbolt.

In approximately 168 BC, after returning from war in Egypt, Antiochus IV started a campaign of persecution against the Jewish people of Judea. He orchestrated a massacre of thousands of Jews in Jerusalem, and imposed strict laws outlawing all traditional Jewish religious practices. The Second Temple in Jerusalem was looted, a large altar of Zeus was installed in the temple, and all Jewish services and customs were banned.

This led to a revolt against Antiochus IV, and a Jewish army in Judea engaged in guerilla warfare against the Seleucids over the next several years. The most famous leader of the rebel army was known as Judah Maccabee, and his nickname is thought to come from the Aramaic word "maqqaba", which means "hammer." Led by Judah the Hammer, the Maccabee army defeated the Seleucid forces and took back the Second Temple.

Judah held a huge festival to celebrate the reclamation and rededication of the temple. According to the religious story (which obviously is not historical), there was only a small amount of available oil to light the menorah for this celebration, but the candles "miraculously" ended up staying lit for 8 nights. The holiday of Hanukkah has since been celebrated each year in the Jewish religion to commemorate the victory over Antiochus IV and the Jewish rededication of the Second Temple.

As I lit my menorah with my family tonight, I thought it was pretty cool to know that 2,000 years after he tried but failed to outlaw the Jewish religion, this coin of Antiochus IV now sits in the home of a Jewish family on the other side of the world 2,000 years later.

Wishing a very Happy Hanukkah to all of those who celebrate! Please share your coins of Antiochus IV Epiphanes, any Hanukkah-related coins, your favorite Seleucid coins, or anything else relevant.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

And a very Happy Hanukkah to you as well!

4. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

That's a nice example of the type!
    g322.jpg
    Antiochus IV
    Mint: Quasi-municipal Seleucia on the Pyramus (Mopsus)
    Denomination C
    168 to 164 BC
    Obvs: Diademed head of Antiochus IV right, dotted border.
    Revs: ΣEΛEYKEΩN TΩN ΠPOΣ TΩI ΠYPAMΩI around, Artemis standing facing and drawing arrow from quiver while holding bow. Dotted border, monogram inner left and IA monogram inner right.
    AE 15mm, 4.50g
    Ref: cf. SC 1387.2; HGC 9, 681(R2)
    Note: Unpublished with IA monogram instead of I A.

And his nephew he murdered
    g344.jpg
    Antiochus Son of Seleucus IV
    Mint: Tarsus
    AR Drachm
    October/November 175 BC
    Obvs: Diademed head of the child Antiochus right, dotted border.
    Revs: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ on right ANTIOXOY on left, Apollo seated left on omphalos testing arrow and resting hand on grounded bow with grip marked by 3 pellets. ΣA outer left above, club outer left below. ΠA monogram outer right.
    17mm, 4.12g
    Ref: SC 1367; HGC 9, 611(R3)

5. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Shea19, That's a lovely chunk of bronze :D! The portrait of Zeus is outstanding & the eagle + inscriptions are beautifully done. Pictured below is the 1st Jewish War Shekel I bought many years ago. I got the coin at a reasonable price because it was a victim of Horn Silver (silver chloride, AgCI) contamination. Despite the condition, it managed to sell for $6,900.00 at a Heritage auction 8 years ago :happy:. Enjoy your holidays.

Year 3 Jewish Shekel.jpg
    Jewish War with Rome, AD 66 - 70 (Year 3, 68/69) AR Shekel: 13.59 gm, 21 mm, 12 h. Obverse: Omer Cup. Reverse: Pomegranate scepter. Hendin 1361, Meshorer 202.

DonnaML, +VGO.DVCKS, Pavlos and 6 others like this.
  6. Ed Snible

Ed Snible Well-Known Member

Here is a coin of Antiochus formerly in the collection of Arthur Houghton.

Houghton_103.jpg
    Reverse: BASILEWS ANTIOXOY QEOY EPIFANOYS; Aegis bearing the head of Medusa.
    Arthur Houghton, Coins of the Seleucid Empire (1983), #103 (this coin)

Edward T. Newell dates the reverse type to 167-165/4 BC, suggesting they coins were struck as keepsakes for visitors to games and festivals held then at Antioch. Arthur Houghton and Catherine Lorber call the bronze “… an exceptional issue, produced in conjunction with the special issue of fractional silver denominations…”.

In the 2nd century AD Pausanias wrote “Antiochus [IV?] ... gave as offerings the golden aegis with the Gorgon on it above the theater at Athens.” The aegis on this coin may represent the one Pausanias saw in Athens.

7. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Here is Antiochos IV, one of my poorer specimens. I found it in the local dealer's junk box for $2.

When I was researching it, I found some very interesting articles about this coin causing a bit of a stir when found in Jerusalem at Tower of David, as it is a tangible sign of the Seleucid occupation. Here's the Jerusalem Times article - I like how they call it a "bronze penny":

https://www.timesofisrael.com/coin-struck-by-vilified-king-from-hanukkah-story-found-in-jerusalem/

Here's mine - it is worse than the one they found in the Tower of David, which is saying a lot!

[​IMG]

Seleucid Kingdom Æ 13
    Antiochus IV Epiphanes
    (c. 175-164 B.C.)
    Ake-Ptolemaïs mint

Radiate head of Antiochus right / AΣΙΛΕ[ΩΣ] ANTIOXOY, veiled goddess (Hera?) standing left, holding sceptre (or torch?)
    Spaer 1130; SGCV II 6994;SC 1479; Hoover 726; BMC 41.
    (3.17 grams / 13 mm)

Here is one of the "Egyptianized" ones, like the OP:

Seleucid Ant. IV Egypt big AE Mar 19 (0).jpg

Seleucid Kingdom Æ 32
    Antiochos IV Epiphanes
    Post-Conquest Egyptianized Series.
    Antioch Mint

(169-168 B.C.)

Laureate head of Zeus-Serapis rt. / BAΣIΛEΩΣ ANTIOXOY ΘEOY EΠIΦANOYΣ, eagle standing right on thunderbolt.
    SC 1412; Svoronos 1416.
    (35.62 grams / 32 mm)

Happy Hanukkah, everybody!

8. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

Very nice example!

[​IMG]
    Antiochos IV Epiphanes (175-164 B.C.) AE Denomination B. Hierapolis Bambyce mint, struck ca. 168-164 B.C.
    Obverse:
    Radiate, diademed head of Antiochos IV right.
    Reverse: IEPOΠOΛITΩN. Hadad (or Zeus) standing right, head left, holding wreath.
    Reference: SC 1432.5.
    6.96g; 20mm

9. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone! I was away this weekend and didn't get to respond to these.

@Ed Snible , great reverse type! I've never seen that one before, very interesting. Great pedigree as well.

@Marsyas Mike , that's a nice article, thanks for sharing...I really like that little "pocket change" coin, probably passed through many hands a couple thousand years ago.

@Al Kowsky That's a beautiful shekel, wow! Even with some horn silver, I can see why it went for that much.

@David@PCC, I love your coin of his nephew, I remember you had a great write-up of that one not long ago.

@Pavlos, very nice example, I have not seen many from that mint.

Ed Snible and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted